RC-20XL Loop Station review by Boss

Boss: RC-20XL Loop Station

Purchased from: Independent music shop

The sound is clear and transparent, which is what you want on a sampling pedal - youy don't want your sound coloured in any way at all. My live amp is a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, which I always leave on the clean chanal, creating distortion with effects - even with several overdubs the different parts cut through without becoming too much of a muddy soup.

As practice tool to something to great epic textures live it's a joy. I play mostly from Byrdsy indie-jangle though to heavyish psychadelia and becoming used on more and more tracks to add a little texture here and there - I keep finding uses for it. You can be a bit of a one-man-jam-band with it. It's great fun with thing like the OC-3 Octave pedal to simulate a bassline but I tend to use it like that just for kicks. I'm very impressed with it. I've always been curous about this type of pedal but have only taken the plunge now and I'm glad I did.

I've only had it a few months but I've used Boss pedals since I was a kid. They are little tanks that last and last. Boss gear is made for professional use, so it's worth paying a little extra over the copycats that are more designed for teenage bedrooms. That said, for the quality Boss is hardly expensive and I perfer 'commodity pedals' like the DS-1 to fancier boutique models.

The pedal sound great with a crisp realistic sound. At first it's hard to get a good loop even if you think you have good timing, but after a liitle practice you naturally get better and create perfect loops. To be honest there are some feature on it that I haven't explored. I tend to use it quite basically - get a loop going, overdub or two, c'est tout.