RC-2 Loop Station review by Boss

Boss: RC-2 Loop Station

Purchased from: ebay

I'm using an ESP LTD AX-250 with EMG passive pickups through a Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion pedal to the RC-2 Loop Station to a Laney Hardcore MXD120 Twin Amp. Nothing to say here, this pedal just kicks ass. Very useful for practicing alone or with your friends. I learned a lot of Slipknot's songs using this baby. Just learn the rythmn, record it, let it loop over and do the lead part on it. Now you can either learn a song section by section using all of the 11 phrase locations or else you can use the other mode which lets you play a phrase just one time. So you can record the whole rythmn part of the song, then replay it and do the lead part. With the 16mins of memory you'll never run out of time.

I play mostly very heavy metal and grindcore. This pedal is a good assistant to practice with, but I don't think it can be used in gigs cause of the difficulty of changing a phrase in the middle of a song, which causes an audible gap (to change phrases). I've been playing for a year now and I've only tried this particular loop station but from what I hear it blows the DigiTech jam man out the water. I wish I'd got the the RC-50 cause it's much easier to change a phrase and you can do it Live without any gaps, just instant change. But that's to be expected with such a large interface. I'm still astounded to this day how they managed to cram such a good looper in such a tiny pedal. If it were stolen, I'd track down the guy Who stole it and ram my guitar up his ass. Yeah I'd probably make him buy me the RC-20XL, or the RC-50 because of the added useability.

Hmm, till now it has been very dependable. I've had it for what, 4 months and it's never broken down on me. Come on guys, I mean, it's a Boss! I can throw it under a bulldozer and it still would work. The only thing I'm worried about is the memory. As it is flash memory I wonder how long it would take for all that erasing and creating to leave so much fragments that corrupt the internal mem. But until now no cause for alarm.

The pedal is relatively easy to get the hang of. One thing that's a bit of a bitch to get right is the timing to press your foot down when you start recording the phrase. That can be achieved with practice. If you like the phrase recorded you can save it or you can record over it again (dubbing). A good feature Boss added is the undo/redo function. Just keep on holding down the pedal and what you've just recorded/erased is instantly deleted/restored.