RC-2 Loop Station review by Boss

Boss: RC-2 Loop Station

Purchased from: guitar center

To hear 3 different loops I recorded go to my MP3 page. http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/tihmay/music/all/play93031#comments_div The 3 tracks that start with the word "Parker" were all done with the looper pedal (no recording equip mixing). 2 used the Boss DR-3 drum/bass Machine and one used the on-board drum track of the looper. Click the "show track details" link to see what's up. I can hear no degredation when sounds are piled up on each other in stacked loops. I can hear no added buzz from the looper. It sounds just like the signal going into it from the drum Machine or the multi-fx. There are a decent variety of on board drum beats. A digital readout of bpm with a dial speed option would be a nice add to the product. If that readout could tell you input volume. But for a 1 pedal sized looper. It really does a lot of work. My setup is shown in one of my profile pictures. Git and drum Machine into multiFX, into looper, into amp.

This is the first looper I've owned. Why I am a big fan of any looper in general is this.First. It will quickly make you a better player. If you take Fade to Black by Metallica for example. Record the acoustic intro, loop it back, turn on the distortion and practice the solo over it. Repeat. Within a couple of weeks my timing was so much better. This looper made me a better player that soon. No BS. Next to getting a drum Machine to work with practticing, a looper is a great way to buy a gizmo to help make you a better player. Second. It is a great way to compose. With just a couple taps of you foot you can improvise, experiment, evaluate, erase, solo over, etc. It will also help your ear get better at putting together Harmony notes. Reference the Parker HM in E mp3. If it were stolen or lost I might save up more cash to get a more featured one, but I would definately replace it immediately. I compared it too the DigiTech JamMan. In the store the JamMan added a delay to the recored loop. And it's on board sounds were like a metronome, not drums.

It's a Boss so I expect it to be durable. I'm a hobbyist not a professional. So I don't gig with it. I baby my gear. I was surprised to see the footswitch under the metal part your foot pushes is plastic (by the battery). Not sure if all BOSSes are this way now.

It came with a manual, which was clear enough. It is easy enough to use the controls on it. Getting the timing down is a bit tricky though. I've spliced in my drum bass/machine into the looper. Getting the start and stop of the loop in good time with the drum Machine took me a little while (maybe you'd be better faster). It's never miliseconds perfect but it is good enough. If you use the onboard drum sounds, the looper will automatically correct your start and stop timing. Which works really well. One thing that seems to be not-user friendly is the copying of saved loops to new numbers (backup). This is not explained well. I am always able to do it when I want, but not knowing what the heck the blinking colored lights means is frustrating. One thing Boss needs to improve is a means to see the level loading of the sound going in. You drop on a sound from one source then record over it to hear the un-balanced volume, then erase the added sound, and adjust the input volume until you get it balanced. This is cumbersome.

thirdeye_15
    amen penybad132... this looper is allllrite i had the same problems, digitech jam man is sick, even electro harmonix memormy man stereo is sick, its got a nice loop function aswell as boooomb delays
    BlisteringDDj
    I think I want this pedal... Oh yes I want it! I'm going to buy it!! This is a very useful tool when you are practicing your improvising.
    guitarsolo_17
    question, got a friend usin this , and it's annoying the crap out of her that it doesn't repeat what you just played right away..like...a pause between where you play it..any ideas how to get rid of that?