RC-2 Loop Station review by Boss

Boss: RC-2 Loop Station

Price paid: € 159

Purchased from: The Music Outlet

The recording quality of the RC-2 is excellent, it replicates nearly exactly what you play, but sometimes the timing can be a bit off (But I think that might just be me). The drum patterns are good and there are loads to choose from and you can choose your time signature. What I would say is that if you want to have one loop on a clean setting, and another one with distortion, you need a distortion pedal because if you use the distortion on your amp, the clean loop will become distorted. You can add a bass line to your loop if you add an octave pedal (Such as the Boss OC-3) to your pedalboard, so you can get a full feeling of a one-man-band.

First off, it it were stolen or lost, I would definitely buy it again, it's just such a handy Tool to have when you're on your own without a band. It's great for practicing and developing skills as well, you can practice playing your favorite songs within a certain tempo, but my favorite feature is the ability to create a one-man-band by creating endless loops over each other. I don't dislike anything about the RC-2 other than the battery life, it will drain a 9V much quicker than your average effects pedal, so I suggest you get (If you don't have one) a Boss Power Supply for this.

I think this loop station is for home use only. Boss have designed bigger and more durable loop stations for playing Live, if you have enough Faith in it and it's a small gig than I don't see why you can't use it, but I would recommend a Boss RC-20XL or a Boss RC-50 for gigging. But Boss pedals are really well made, and they will last forever. The guy in The Music Outlet Who sold me this showed me his Boss DS-1 that he owned for 22 years and it is still in perfect condition, so you probably won't get a more durable small compact pedal other than a Boss.

A bit intimidating at first, but it only took me a couple of hours of fiddling around with this thing to figure out most things, with the aid of a really well written manual (Really easy to read and explains everything clearly). I think the hardest part to use is the built in rhythm Machine, I still haven't figured that out completely yet. But saving and deleting phrases is so easy, it's just a matter of getting used to. There are 11 phrases, and if a few of them have loops saved on to them, the 'Loop/One-Shot' indicator will flash green so you know what not to re-record.

Aryon
    @mpk: well i dont own that, but i think when you just have your song saved in the RC-2, and connect in into a recorder or computer, it will work. btw, all of you post prices lile 180 dolars..in US? cause here in europe the minimum price i saw was about 180 ..
    knutur
    anyone know if its possible to connect a footswitch to this pedal to switch between the phrases?
    Disturbed_EMG
    So, by "Save patterns" do you mean, you can record a riff, say for the rhythm part of a solo (for performing live without a second guitarist) and play it back whenever needed? Or does it's memory wipe everytime you turn it off. I've been saving for a loop station and I'm seriously thinking about buying one of these. But the whole point of me wanting one of these is to hat I don't need to worry about looking for a second guitarist... For a while anyway. So, basically, what I wanna know is, does it save any loops you do, (eg the backing of a solo) so that you may play it back whenever you want, even after you've turned it off?
    Rebus
    I've got a problem with mine: Every 10-15 minutes it will emit a beep and cut out. I have a feeling it is an internal problem because I have tried both a battery and an adapter as well as new leads. Has anyone experienced this problem too?