RC-30 Loop Station review by Boss

Boss: RC-30 Loop Station

Price paid: A$ 350

Purchased from: Ebay

Records fine, sounds good. A lot of people bash the effects but I find ways to use them. My favourite effect is tempo delay and sweep filter but it's fun to play around with the down tune one too. Step filter is least useful. Haven't gotten a chance to use a mic with it but it's cool that it has it's own volume control.

I play a lot of styles of music but I think it does very well with rap music. The sliders let you cut elements out of the beat and the effects help to keep interest in the song. The problems I have with it are the lack of drum beats. 3 hours of recording time and there are only 9 different drum tracks? Really? Also if you are planning on using this to recreate songs that have vastly different parts say the chorus isn't just the original beat with a melody on top you are going to be disappointed because there is an annoying gap when switching between phrases. I don't know how they thought that was acceptable. The price is right for what it is and I am happy with the purchase.

Haven't gigged with it but it seems up to the job for me. Battery has lasted me a long time. I am constantly pressing the buttons I should be pressing with my fingers with my toes and it hasn't exploded so that's nice.

Took me a little bit to become fluent with it but I like reading manuals and things so it didn't take too long. Most people should try and change the record/dub/play order to the non default setting. There has been a firmware upgrade for some recording Lag problem and mine already had it installed.

DoubleBassCrash
    SilverSpurs616 wrote: In case you haven't noticed, they got tabs here for people that listen to Tupac Shakur. Yes, tabs. GUITAR tabs.
    And this GUITAR equipment that can be utilized for different types of music. And what's that? You can even plug your synth into it? Gee golly gosh!
    Kingnichendrix
    im sick of all of you music snobs, just because its not metal or jazz fusion doesn't mean its not music, you guys need to get your heads out of your ass and appreciate music for what it is. However its totally justifiable to dislike music when it is just popular because of the image of the artist...
    DoubleBassCrash
    quesadilla1118 wrote: It may be a good pedal, but rap music? this is ultimate-guitar, not ultimate-synthesizer.
    Get off his balls, quesadilla. In case you haven't noticed, they got tabs here for people that listen to Tupac Shakur. I have a looper in my DD-20, I love that feature to death, I've been hard for getting one of these for a while now, I can never get enough loopers, they allow for some gnarly possibilities. You can just keep stackin' while you play, make some insane sounds. Man, this pedal would be dope for some trip hop tracks!
    kumamilesbear
    MaggaraMarine wrote: You didn't say how many tracks there are in the pedal. When I look at the picture, I see that there are two. But that's very important information because if I was buying a looper I would like to know how many tracks it has. A lot of important information is lacking here. Does it have a tap tempo? Can you use the effects when you are looping? Sorry but not that helpful review.
    You can have unlimited overdubs. You can't control them individually after you record them, but you DO have the ability to record 100 different layers if you wanted.
    SilverSpurs616
    Yes, tabs. GUITAR tabs.
    higherworlds
    MaggaraMarine
    DoubleBassCrash wrote: higherworlds wrote: he is asking how many tracks you can save in the pedal, not how mny layers you can use, obvious musician know that, do you even play rock music? You can save 99 loops (tracks), or three hours worth of music that you choose to have on command when you write or perform. I really wish y'all would be nicer, to each other & to the people that post reviews here... everyone's always insulting each other, or taking digs at someone just to flaunt their e-penis. When y'all act like that, it makes me wonder how bad your life is outside of this website, it's sad to watch you vent your anger towards people that don't deserve it.
    Yep, people should be nicer when posting. But what I was saying was that the review lacks lots of information that would be good to know before buying. I just wanted to know that how many tracks there are that you can play at the same time. And activate with the footswitch. So I assume that there are two independent tracks because there are two footswitches. I'm not talking about overdubs or presets or anything like that. I'm talking about if you have two guitar parts in one song and first you want to loop the first part and then you want to loop the second part and then you want to loop them together.
    jhart08
    you spent 350? you spent way too much for that pedal...it's on musicians friend for 299
    codyjt5150
    shoted
    Things in Australia are just more expensive than in America it's just the way things are here I guess. Sorry that the review list some of the important functions of the pedal but I figured the manufacturers website would do a better job of that I just wanted to write some things I liked/disliked about it. All I was trying to say with the rap bit was that it does well for beat based music and jamming but has trouble swapping to entirely different musical ideas smoothly because of the lag that happens when swapping saved songs.
    MaggaraMarine
    codyjt5150 wrote: $350 for a looper? My sanpera II was only $180 and it has more stuff than a looper even though it only holds 30 seconds, which is the gay thing about it but damn thats too much.
    Yes but Sanpera doesn't work without a Vypyr, right? So you pay for the Vypyr and then buy the Sanpera. And the Sanpera doesn't have the features because it's just a footswitch, it's the amp that has all the features. You can just control the features with the footswitch. Does it have more than one track? Does it have an "undo" button (because my RP355 crappy looper doesn't)? And those 30 seconds are too short!! That's why it cost so much. And that's not even much. There are loopers that cost much more though I hate the fact that they always have to put some built in effects in those. Why aren't there loopers without 200 effects! I just want to loop, not some delaychorusloopdistortionflangershit.