RC-30 Loop Station review by Boss

Boss: RC-30 Loop Station

Price paid: £ 239.99

Purchased from: GuitarGuitar Newcastle

Using a Faith Saturn cutaway electro acoustic 'Natural Series' (A somewhat totally underrated manufacturer) into a Line Six Micro spider (I know, I know, I'm a terrible person) The pedal does not have any apparent diminishing effect on audio quality. The RC-30 comes with an in built tap tempo rhythm inbuilt system which is great, since it works as a beat lock and keeps everything in sync and in time (which is so critical with these loopers). However, the first sound is meant to be a 'closed high hat'. The only problem being is that it sounds like a baby kitten, slowing tapping its paw on a sheet on tin foil. That's not an exaggeration even... The bass drum is also a little but... Weak, shall I put it. But nether the less, its still a really helpful function and adjusting the low end on your amp can help reduce kitten-ness! LOOP PEDALS SHOULD NOT BE PLAYED WITH DISTORTION. That is all I will say on that matter. But the overall sound will ultimately depend on what goes in. If your sound is of an awful quality, get ready for some awful sounding loops. If you have a great sound quality, then it will sound great! The RC-30 does an amazing job of truly replicating what ever sound is being created good or bad!

Okay, I have been a bit harsh, but I will admit it, I love my RC-30. In fact the only reason I wrote this review is because I love it that much, I wanted to see what others thought about it. The RC-30 Is an amazing piece of equipment, boasting a huge 30 hour recording in comparison to the tiny 15 minute RC-20 little brother... Its really fun and its a pleasure to perform with. Even with just a microphone, it gives me endless hours of fun, saying insulting phrases and somehow looping it over to make an Drum N Bass swearword fest. I would highly recommend it to any ACOUSTIC guitarists, due to its amazing potential with percussive elements, but it works just as well for clean electric sounds. Overall I love the Boss RC-30. Little expensive, but totally worth it! - Twin Pedal multitrack looper with true stereo I/O - Two synchronized stereo tracks with dedicated volume faders and track-select buttons - Massive internal memory with up to three hours of stereo recording tim - 99 onboard memory phrases for storing loops - Built-in effects for processing loops - Multiple inputs: 1/4" A and B input jacks, stereo 1/8" mini AUX input jack, XLR input jack with phantom power - USB 2.0 port allows you to connect to a PC and import/export WAV audio - Rhythm guide with real drums (hmmmm) - Runs on batteries or optional AC power supply.

This this is a BRICK! As with all of Boss's pedals, they are made to such great high quality and will last you a life time... I hope. Bare in mind I would still keep the thing in its original box, due to the annoying problem that is DUST! Oh dust just loves to get all nice and snug underneath the twin pedals. Well the exterior is strong, but I'm not too sure about the actual hardware, but I've had mine for over 6 months and I have ran into no problems what so ever! So yeah... I can depend on my RC-30! My only real issue is how easily the AC power lead can come out of the socket. OH BY THE WAY! You have to pay an addition 20 for the Boss AC adapter, something which I find stupid seeing as I dished out 240 quid for the damn thing. Anyways, the lead can easily fall out, and this is a huge concern if you are on stage, one miss step and BAM everything you just looped is gone. However there is the option of using about 12 batteries. Thanks Boss!

Fresh out the box, with a heap of ideas in my head, I started to attempt recreating some various pop songs with easy repeatable phrases, you know. Just to get started... "Wow, this is harder than it looks". Referring to the thick paged manual, I worked out that the Boss RC-30's default setting is the complex loop system, which automatically continues to record/overdub immediately after first phrase record. Woah woah woah... I didn't know this. So how do I change it? After the manual proved ineffective, I had to resort to looking online to watch "how to..." videos. This is something I would STRONGLY recommend to do to anyone purchasing any looper pedal, seeing as this gave me alot of information and clarity the manual failed to do. Maybe I'm being too harsh. The manual is helpful, only if you know what you're looking for. In summary: Compression times are spot on takes a while to become fluent with not too keen on the manual.

jedluckless
    Thanks to everyone for the helpful reviews and info. I had an additional question for the group...I am a long time RC-20 user and on that unit you could depress and hold the right pedal to clear or erase the loop in memory. On the RC-30 the only way I can see to do this is by pressing a delete button on the unit. The right pedal is defaulted to switch tracks when held down, or can be toggled to "basic function" and not switch tracks but simply stop the loop - but I could not find a way to assign it to erase the loop. Is there any way to do so? Thanks in advance
    michael.gowland
    I have the RC-30, I like it a lot - except for one significant detail. I can't find anyway to set the tempo except by tapping, and that just isn't accurate enough to keep my loops in sync with my beat buddy which is a real pain, cuts down its usefulness to me a lot. It would be easy to remedy in the firmware, which I think Boss should do as I can not recommend it due to this one major deficiency.
    SeanMC313
    i have a problem with my rc-30. when you hold the left pedal for 2 seconds it is meant to switch track, but with mine it just stops whatever track is playing instantly, and doesnt switch track, help? (just got it at christmas second hand but perfect condition)
    carlabehal
    here you can see how to play after recording, instead of overdubbing after first phrase. goog luck!
    neonlyte
    Personally, I chose the Boss RC-3 when I was in the market for a looper but I've also used my friend's Ditto looper and it's AWESOME at what it does. My looper has drastically improved my skills – I highly recommend them. I scoured Amazon's best seller list and really weighed the features as well as the pros and cons before plunking my cash down and deciding for myself: http://amzn.to/16K5DXl Whether it's the Ditto, Boss, or DigiTech...they're all solid loopers it's all about what you need and what you do with them. Cheers!