RV-5 Digital Reverb review by Boss

Boss: RV-5 Digital Reverb

I currently run this pedal in my effects loop after a Boss CE-5 Chorus ensemble and before my Strymon Timeline unit. The amp I normally use is an Engl Powerball 2 and I primarily play on my Schecter C1+. The pedal is not noisy in my board (powered by a VooDoo Labs pedal power) and really doesn't become noisy when you adjust the settings, which is nice. Unless the effect level knob is cranked up pretty far you really don't get much of an influence from the mode knob (Spring, Hall, etc). Normally I will run the plate setting with the time and effect level knobs put at about 3 0'clock. This gives me a nice tone for songs like "Torn" by creed where you need the reverb to fill in the sound.

I play a variety of styles from rock, alternative, jazz, and occasionally a country song. I have played the guitar for roughly 10 years and have been performing professionally for about 2 years. My gear lineup currently consists of all Schecter electric guitars (C1+ and a C1-Classic). This runs into a pedalboard with several Boss units, a crybaby slash, and a Strymon timeline, and out into either my Engl Powerball 2 or a Bugera V22 depending on the type of gig I am playing. When I purchased this unit I wish I would have had more knowledge about reverb effects and all of the options out there. While this unit does a decent job of providing reverb, I certainly feel there are much better units out there. The unit is rather simple to use and can produce a decent tone, however it is frustrating that the settings are not fully usable until you hit about 12 o'clock for some features such as the effect level. If this thing were ever stolen I would probably just upgrade to a Strymon BlueSky reverberator unit. The usable tones and MIDI capability make the unit much more appealing. At the time of purchasing this unit I had not made any comparisons, but now that I have been playing for far longer, I would chose others units over this. If this unit had a more usable range and a little better sounding tones I would purchase another.

Being a Boss product, this thing is build rock solid. I have had congas dropped on my pedalboard, other musicians throw things at me one stage, you name it and my pedals have seen it. They even survived an outside show where we set up, sound checked, and by the time we started playing everything was coated in condensation. It still works! If this thing can survive water I don't really see the point in having a backup unit on standby. Though i certainly don't recommend you soaking this in a swimming pool or anything of that nature!

This is a pedal I purchased a while back and am finally getting around to reviewing. The pedal has a lot of options when it comes to shaping the sound of your reverb settings. It includes a Spring, Plate, Hall, Room, Gate, and Modulation reverb mode. All of these options allow you to play around with some cool sounds and does allow for good sounds. The other knobs on the pedal, the Tone, Effect Level, and Time, allow for more options in shaping your reverb. As far as the effect level knob goes, it doesn't really seem to kick in until the knob is close to 12 o'clock, which could be a bit annoying.