SD-1 Super Overdrive review by Boss

Boss: SD-1 Super Overdrive

Well I play thru either an American 40th Anniversery Strat with a Hotrails pickup in the bridge, and a Les Paul. The amp I have is a Marshall JCM 900 (100 watt version) and I use two Behringer 4x12 cabs. The sound I get out of the amp alone is truely amazing to say the least. But what I do with my SD-1 is turn the gain down to about 2 or 3, pull the tone to about 8 o'clock, and set the volume to about noon. That way when I kick on the SD-1 it boosts my tone tremendously with out making it sound all sloppy. This is great for hard rockers, like me, who want a little more bark in their tone and a bit more bite in their distortion. The pedal isnt noisy at all either.

I play hard rock. Much to the style of Blindside. Using this pedal as tone/crunch booster is a very good idea for any rocker who knows what theyre doing. If some punk were to steal my SD-1 Id have no other choice but to go out and buy it again. It'd be the best 40$ I ever spent. I've compared this to Tubescreamers and other tube Overdrive pedals and nothing compares to the SD-1! Get this pedal, wether you use it for a booster like myself or a bluesy distortion, every serious guitarist must have this pedal!

It's a Boss pedal, so of course this thing will survive nuclear warfare. I would definetly use this without a backup. Bring an extra battery though if you plan on using it live without an adapter (rule-of-thumb: do this with any pedal). I've dropped mine who knows how many times and its still in ship-shape.

First off I'd just like to point out the simplicity of 90% of all Boss pedals. Most Overdrive or distortion stompboxes that are put out by Boss have only 3 knobs: dist./gain (how much crunch is produced), tone (warm, fat tone all the way to Tele twang), and level (volume). A child could get the tone he wants from this pedal.