SD-1 Super Overdrive review by Boss

Boss: SD-1 Super Overdrive

Purchased from: Swee Lee Singapore

I am using an Ibanez SZ320 through a Marshall CDR15 amp. The amp doesn't have a good distortion in the first place and thus I was in search of a distortion pedal. I tried the Danelectro pedals with Boss DS-1 and SD-1, in the end I decided on the latter. 3 things that affect my decision, the ease of use, the reliability of the unit and definitely the sound it produce. I was looking for a warmth kind of Overdrive (light distortion) which is smooth in its sound and does not alter my guitar tone. This pedal does it all. It can produce the warmth and solid rock tones. It can also play the blues well but it is definitely not in the territory of metal or any heavy distortion. It can even act as a boost and can be used together with the amp distortion to give a variety of tones.

I play blues, rock (classic, punk, hard, soft) and some pop and country songs. It is absolutely a good match for me. I have been playing for a year or less. If it were stolen I will definitely buy it again cos it has lots of use. I like the sound shaping it does but there is an extent as to how it can change a sound. I don't quite like its colour though. I compared it to the DS-1 and choose it over the DS-1 because it has a more old school rock driven kind of sound and it is smooth. Compared to Danelectro distortion or Overdrive pedal, it beats them all. It is just simple and good for beginners.

I don't gig as of now but I would certainly use it without backup provided I bring spare batteries. It is definitely a solid construction able to withstand any punishment.

It has 3 knobs, 1 for volume, 1 for tone and 1 for the drive. The manual does a good job but then if you are a seasoned guitarist you won't even use it.