SD-1 Super Overdrive review by Boss

Boss: SD-1 Super Overdrive

Purchased from: Sam Ash

I'm pretty broke most of the time and my rig portrays that, I use a Marshall MG15CD (junk), an Ibanez GRX20 (quite good for such a cheap guitar), a Dunlop Crybaby and this pedal. I got the pedal because I was sick of walking to my amp to turn on and off the drive and sick of the muddy tone I got from the offending Marshall. This pedal fixed my problem although not as well as I hoped. As a stand-alone pedal the Boss SD-1 is mediocre especially when thrown in front of a lame solid state. As usual like almost any thing guitar related it sounds much better in front of a tube amp however still not amazing, that is until you use it as a booster. Yup throw this baby in front of an overdriven tube amp and prepare yourself for sweet harmonics, sustain for days and a lead tone that can slice a block of steel in half without any major colouring of your tone. Since boosting is what this stomp box was designed to do I give it a 8 (the only reason it's not a 10 is because it sucks your tone when your not using it).

I play mostly classic rock and metal, and if used correctly this pedal is a good match. A good match is namely boosting an already overdriven tube amp. If this pedal was lost I would probably buy it again, or maybe the MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive instead. All in all great value for your money.

It's a Boss, I need not say any more.

Three knobs, drive, tone and level so naturally of course the pedal is easy as hell to use. The manual isn't so good, it basically explains the function of each knob but dosent give any examples of usable settings, but that's cool the pedal is so easy to use you don't need a manual.