SD-1 Super Overdrive review by Boss

Boss: SD-1 Super Overdrive

The sounds can vary greatly with the settings on it. When I was first setting it up for my sound I found that when you run a bass through it you should have the tone knob down all the way to reduce the sound of your fingers sliding across the strings (it sounds nasty). It sounds good with a guitar, but with a bass you a lot of your bottom end. The "level" knob is very sensitive, when you have it too high and you Switch from clean to overdriven, the overdriven is considerably louder the the clean.

I played a lot of heavier stuff, ex: Avenged Sevenfold, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Metallica, and I find that it fits perfect for all of it (even if I loose a lot of bottom end) If it was stolen and I actually had money to buy another I would probably buy the bass version of this. I love the knob to control how overdriven you want your sounds, but I don't like how sensitive the "level" knob is or the sound you create when you run your fingers across it with the tone knob above "0." I wish Boss made one pedal that had a guitar or bass.

I've kicked this pedal around a lot and I've found no problems with it. I wouldn't use this one on a gig because I'm using it for the wrong instrument, but if I played guitar I would use it without a back up. The battery life is very long, I've used one battery for about 2 months and I don't hear any changes from when I first put in the battery.

I got this pedal from a friend for my birthday, even though its for guitar I use it for bass. This pedal is very easy to set up and adjust for you preferred overdriven sound. The sounds can vary greatly with the settings on it. When I was first setting it up for my sound I found that when you run a bass through it you should have the tone knob down all the way to reduce the sound of your fingers sliding across the strings (it sounds nasty).

syafiq_roslan
    The pedal alone wont give u metal distortion,but u could use it to juice up ur amp to get that sound.Basically ur amp will be mildly overdriven,then u just kick in the pedal,adjust the settings,and there u go,crunchy metal distortion.Zakk Wylde does that and he used to use this pedal to do it,now he uses his signature overdrive.
    thunderinblack
    i do a sothing along thse line but with a marshall jackhammer and it sounds lovely but youll want to get a noise reducer cos it hums like mad
    shwilly
    can this pedal do metal?
    Not really, but if you combine it with distortion: that's where the fun begins. An overdrive pedal will make your distorted guitar sound "nasty" (in a good way) instead of just "loud". For example: many people love the Van Halen-style two handed tapping solo's, but if you want to play that stuff on your amp you have to turn the volume WAY up, and nothing sounds quite as horrible as a metaln00b trying to play Eruption on a cheap practice amp. But if you turn the volume down and use this pedal combined with a regular distortion pedal (even a pretty basic one like the DS-1), you will notice that tapping ain't really that hard if you know how to use your gear
    quimson
    johann
    quimson wrote: can this pedal give you the distortion that most bands use? like.. my chemical romance, the used..etc
    am....not really bro..this pedal is great as a Booster for solo...its also great as ur main overdrive but use it as a booster better.