SD-1 Super Overdrive review by Boss

Boss: SD-1 Super Overdrive

Purchased from: Allan's Music

I've used this pedal with Gibson SGs, Fender Strats, and a couple other guitars, with a Roland Micro-Cube, an old Behringer Valva-State amp, and a very old Fender Princeton (That's no longer in production), and it sounds REALLY sweet with all of them, but I felt the best sound I could get was with the Fender amp. It isn't noisy at all. And my favourite settings on the pedal is having the level full or near full, the Drive at around 2 o' clock, and the tone at around 12 o' clock and with the gain on my amp at around 7 or 8 o' clock, so it adds a lot more power and gain to my amp. And I've also used it as a booster with the gain near 0 and the level up full. I love the tone Eric Clapton had when he was in Cream, and I could get very close to it. I also really like Buddy Guy's tone, and I could pull it off easily with this pedal. I've also found it much easier to get very good pinch harmonics out of my guitar with the pedal. The pedal also increases the sustain on my guitar.

I'm a Rock & Roll and Blues guitarist. And this pedal is perfect for me. I've been playing for quite a while. I'm not sure how long, but this pedal really augments my playing, but one thing everyone should keep a note of is not to get carried away with effects pedals, especially during Live performances, cause you'll forget about your playing and the audience and you'll get very messed up with trying to get the "perfect" tone. If it were stolen or lost I'd definitely get a new one without hesitation. What I love most about it is of course the tone and sound it produces and also how sturdy it is. What I'm not too crazy about is that it's yellow. Not a big fan of yellow but that's negligible.

Boss is famous for making extremely durable pedals. And the SD-1 is a testament to that. You could kick it around, spill drinks on it (though I wouldn't recommend you do that), put your whole body weight on it, and it'll still work like a beauty. And the beauty of it is that it only weighs 400g! I've used it several times on my gigs and never had a problem with it. Just remember to always have a spare battery on you.

Like most Boss pedals, the SD-1 is very easy to use with only 3 knobs: 1 for level (volume), 1 for drive (gain), and 1 for tone (tone colour). And through using just that, you can get a very wide range of sounds out of your amp and guitar, from the pedal being a booster for your solos to it being your main source of Overdrive. This model was first introduced in 1981, and till today, is among the best Overdrive pedals out there. I only took a quick glance at the manual to check out what I'm supposed to do with the battery. And other than that, most seasoned guitarists wouldn't need the manual.