SD-1 Super Overdrive review by Boss

Boss: SD-1 Super Overdrive

Purchased from: Used

I use this with a Vox AC30CC2 and an MIA strat. For me this pedal only does one type of sound, that gritty sound that's perfect for punk and metal. It won't really do smooth Overdrive too well in my experience. The thing I most often use this pedal for is a clean boost because of it's transparency, it's perfect for me to get that Rory Gallagher or Brian May tone. It can be a little noisey when the gain and level are turned up but you'll find that with all ODs and distortions really. I find it tends to suck tone a little but not really enough for anyone to get worried about. I'm giving it a 7 because of it's tone sucking and because it's not VERY versatile. Still sounds great though.

Overall, it's a great pedal and great value for money. If it were stolen I'd certainly buy another one as it's a very important part of my rig. I love it as a booster pedal and find it does everything I want it to very well. I quite like the tone knob as it gives a nice range of treble or bass to the pedal.

It's Boss, you'll never have to worry about it crapping out or breaking unless you're unbelievably clumsy with your gear. Mine is missing a knob but the guy I bought it off is a bit of a clutz so I can't blame Boss for that. I can be sure that it will last the wear and tear of gigging and never let me down.

It has 3 knobs, drive, tone and level, couldn't be simpler. It comes with a manuel that is far too detailed for such a simple product but you could hardly fault Boss for that. As with all Boss analogue pedals it can't get less than a 10 for ease of use. It also has the normal Boss battery compartment which is very easy to get atwhen yu need to change a battery.

Devilman2020
    zacky gates wrote: can this pedal do metal?
    Zakk Wylde uses this pedal when he is with Ozzy or BLS. i have the pedal & it has a beautiful sound
    thyentityremage
    boss is ok, i like jus strait distortion and clean, every now and then a mix up but this would be nice for me... jus thought everyone should know that.. later
    DaBlackE
    Put this pedal infront of your amp's overdrive channel, turn the gain down, the level up & put the tone at 1 O'clock. It adds a nice edge to your sound, and it's only $39.99 at GC.
    Hart_Attack
    ok people... for the record right now... overdrive does not mean distortion! it will not give you anytype of modern rock sound unless you already have a crunch dirt tone already up. the heaviest sound you'll get from an overdrive pedal is super classic rock ala ac/dc, led zep, or eric clapton when he was in cream.