SD-1 Super Overdrive review by Boss

Boss: SD-1 Super Overdrive

Purchased from: Guitar Guitar

The sound from this pedal is great. I'm using it with a Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus-Top), Vox Valvetronix AD15VT, and it is hooked up with a Boss DS-1, Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby and a Danelectro Fab Chorus. This pedal is great for blues and classic rock. When I play on the neck pickup of my Les Paul, and turn all the settings on the pedal to twelve 0' Clock, I get a nice fat bluesy tone. With the use of the bridge pickup, and by turning the Drive up to about 3/4, this thing cuts classic rock really well. I generally play '80s rock and metal, with some classic rock and blues, and this cuts well for everything except metal and some '80s rock. This pedal also works great as a boost. By turning the level max, and adding some Drive, when already playing on the dirty channel of an amp, if you push down on the pedal, you're boosted. It's great for boosting solos and also heavy sections of songs.

Overall, this pedal is fantastic. If you play blues or classic rock, you need this pedal. It can do a range of nice overdrives, and is very cheap for what you get. If it were stolen, I would definitely buy another. At 30, there is nothing to loose, and it is definitely value for money.

This pedal has never broke down on me in the year or so I've owned it. I would definitely use it at a gig without a backup, however, I'd hook it up with a 9V adaptor if I played Live, in case the battery ran out. But I definitely reccommend this for Live performances. The boost can also be great live.

This pedal is very easy to use. It has only three knobs: level, tone and overdrive. Tweaking settings in easy, and in no time, you'll land on a nice sound. The pedal comes with some manuals on the health and safety, how to use the pedal and also some ideas of settings for different styles.

SlashsGuns
    if you use this with a DS-1 like I do, you can get a much wider range from classic rock to harder metal than the SD-1 alone, oh a noise gate might help too.