SD-1 Super Overdrive review by Boss

Boss: SD-1 Super Overdrive

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

When I bought this pedal, I was using it through a Squier Stratocaster, into a Line6 Spider III. the spider did not have a very good "crunch" sound. this gave me the sound I wanted for like rock and blues that my amp could not deliver. The sound is very authentic sounding, and with the Drive knob turned all the way up, and the level halfway, it sounds like a overdriven tube amp.

It is perfect for a wide range of styles. Best for blues or classic/light rock. After 2 years of playing I think this was a great investment for me. I now own a Marshall so I don't have a need for it but I still use it to play with and for boost. If stolen, I would buy another.

Very sturdy. I could rely on this pedal.I have never gigged with this pedal, but I have dropped it from about four feet up and it didn't even dent, and turned right back on. it has about 40 hours on the battery and it hasn't died yet. I may bring a back-up, but that's just me.

It is very easy to get the sound you want. it has a range of sounds, and is very sturdy. The knobs are quite decent sized. The LED is not very bright which would be bad for playing in a bar but when switched on you could definitely tell a difference. The manual is not very big, and doesn't really say much honestly. it's more of a figure it out thing, which I did'nt mind playing with it a few hours finding my sweet, fat, crunch I wanted.