SD-1 Super Overdrive review by Boss

Boss: SD-1 Super Overdrive

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

I am using this pedal with a Gibson LP Standard, an Ibanez Blazer, or an Ibanez full hollow-body guitar. I use either a Laney 2x12 120Watt or a Marshall 2x10 15Watt amplifier. This pedal is not noisy at all and the gain is pretty minimal. Even at high levels, it produces next to no hum or buzz. To some, this effect may not be for you. I have heard it been called "weak" and that some people can't even tell if it's ON or not. That's because they may be looking for something richer. I went from playing the Boss Metal Zone to this, and they are on the opposite ends of the Boss Distortion Grid. As my taste matured, I found this Super Overdrive to be much more versatile than the MT-2. This pedal has been used by Zakk Wylde and Eddie Van Halen, but don't expect their sound to come strictly from this pedal alone. You would need some heavy duty amps and tubes at arena sized volumes to achieve the tones that they can produce. For me, it is used for it's smooth, clean Overdrive and mild distortion.

I play an array of musical styles, mostly instrumental rock and jazz fusion. This pedal is great for adding some intensity to my solos or a nice boost for my rhythm patterns. I have been playing for about 11 years and use this pedal with a Boss Compression Sustainer and a Boss Chorus Ensemble. If this pedal were stolen, I would buy another one in an instant. I love this pedal for it's natural and smooth tone, I would compare it to that of Eric Johnson's tone. I really like the fact that it let's your picking style bloom without any discoloration. I play with quick, alternate picking strokes, and this pedal will fully showcase your technique without having any disruption from that what'soever.

I can depend on my Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive, without a backup, any day of the week. I have had my Super Overdrive for about eight years and it sounds better than ever. I have used it on numerous occasions for gigs, without backup, and have survived to tell about it. This pedal is amazing and will live a long life if you take care of it and maintain it properly.

This pedal is very simple and easy to use. First, you can crank Up the Drive and let the pedal produce it's raw bite, Or turn Up the Level and use minimal Drive to let your amp's natural crunch take over. My particular model is completely stock and has been "broken in" after many years. I feel these babies really Shine when their circuitry has been worn down a bit.

mcamp1230
    Saitoh wrote: So I just got one and I'm not sure if it's working as it should or not. I honestly can't tell if it's on or not when I play solo and switch it on and off. When playing rythm I can hear the tone change, gets a bit tighter. Is it supposed to be this way?
    try using it as a boost. turn the drive down and the level up
    mcamp1230
    Nicolini109 wrote: Ascendant wrote: I love how a bunch of retards doing reviews here think this is an OD pedal. It is an OD....
    +1 what is this guy thinking, I love how a bunch of retards think this is a distortion pedal
    M3lodeath
    I love this thing for solo boosts i turn the level on max the drive on min and the tone on at 12 o clock. this keeps the distorsion level the same but boosts the sustain and and some mids
    Skuzzmo
    slipknot_420 wrote: And yet another review of one of the worst ods out there.
    themelodicdeathshow
    Skuzzmo wrote: slipknot_420 wrote: And yet another review of one of the worst ods out there. I think you'll find that it's down to an individuals personal preference as to whether it's good or bad.....
    Not really