SD-1 Super Overdrive review by Boss

Boss: SD-1 Super Overdrive

Purchased from: C.A. House Music

I'm basically running this between my Schecter Damien-7 and the Valveking 100h. There really isn't that much noise unless you crank the level and gain all the way up on a loud amp. As long as you're quick with the guitar's volume knob, you'll have no problem in between songs playing live. This unit gives me that extra bite that really makes solos stand out. It's great for riffs too and I can easily get tones similar to Savatage, Testament, King Diamond, Yngwie Malmsteen, etc. It is also good for blues and classic rock. Basically, it does anything you want if you're playing something that requires a bit of gain in the tone.

I mostly play neoclassical and power metal, but I also have a Morbid Angel ish Death Metal band, and this pedal sounds just as good in that setting. I play anything but country when I'm at home, and this pedal does it all. I've been playing since I was six (14 years now) and I've finally found the perfect Overdrive pedal! I own 2 of these, but if both suddenly disappeared, I'd march right down to CA House and buy another one. It's that good. At first, I was hoping for an Ibanez Tube Screamer. They didn't have those in stock, so I picked this one up, and I'm so glad I did. This IS my sound, and I'm not gonna pay 100 bucks for something that might not be.

This thing is absolutely solid. I've had plenty of pedals that have fallen apart, but I'm sure I could chuck this against a brick wall and still be able to use it. I'm not going to do it however. I'd trust Boss to the ends of the earth with reliability. I always have a backup though. That backup just happens to be the same exact model though.

Being an Overdrive pedal, operation is about as simple as it gets. I own a Peavey Valveking, and it sounds incredible, but I wanted something that would push it just a little harder. This pedal was perfect for that. Honestly, I don't think it's possible to get a bad tone out of this pedal. Boss really did a great job with their packaging as well. It looked like it had just come out of the factory.