SD-1 Super Overdrive review by Boss

Boss: SD-1 Super Overdrive

Purchased from: On line

JCM DSL 50 WATT Head hooked up to a Marshall 1960 BC Cab with 4 x 25 watt greenbacks. Peavey Wolfgang USA Standard guitar and a modded 1983 Kramer Baretta with Bare Knuckle Pick ups dropped down a whole step. If you want to know how well respected this pedal is just check out the likes of Zakk Wylde and Yngwie Malmsteen. Sometimes it is difficult to comment realistically on a pedal as the range of amplifiers out there is so vast. To really scrutinise the quality of the SD1 I would definitely recommend a valve set up. Solid State amps can never bring out the best in a pedal like the SD1.

I play primarily Hard rock/Heavy metal from the 80's right through to todays bone crushing stuff. Been playing for 25 years. If this pedal was stolen I would purchase another one immediately from Keeley in the states fully modded with Burr Brown chip and true by pass. Pedal is completely silent and transparent when switched off. However, I rarely if ever Switch it off as it is integral to my sound.

Built like a tank and would feel naked without it either gigging or bedroom rocking. Like most Boss gear you can guarantee a life time of performanc. My SD1 had a bright blue LED installed by Keeley and this is great for those situations when the light in a venue is very low.

Level set to Max, Drive set to zero and Tone just past midnight. Nothing simpler to use. Out of the box the sound is average but I had mine modded in the states by Keeley. It is now the best and only pedal I use. The Original SD1 came out of Japan and they are really highly rated. Latest incarnation has been lacking in the quality of the original. Modded this pedal is a class act and in my humble opinion is the best Overdrive out there. If you own one check out my settings, especially if you play through a Marshall valve amp.

Most_Triumphant
    cheeseisthebomb wrote: If you want a REALLY good overdrive pedal get a BD-2 Blues Driver.
    I have both, and they sound completely the same, through an amps input jack. Through the effects loop the BD-2 sounds better, and it has a little more drive to offer. Really, the SD-1 is great for a lot of things, you don't need to spend an extra $20+ for the BD-2.
    meticadpa
    slipknot_420 wrote: Skuzzmo wrote: slipknot_420 wrote: And yet another review of one of the worst ods out there. I think you'll find that it's down to an individuals personal preference as to whether it's good or bad..... Not really
    What? Of course it is. Everyone likes different things. There's no such thing as "best" with any audio equipment, be it pickups, amps, pedals, speakers, headphones, whatever. It's what your personal preference is. I know a lot of people who absolutely hate my Grado headphones, for example, but they're my favourite, and they're great. In short: it's entirely subjective.
    Robfreitag
    it's largely subjective, but not entirely. I really like this pedal for bringing out the overtones in my sound.