SD-1 Super Overdrive review by Boss

Boss: SD-1 Super Overdrive

Purchased from: Best Buy

I'm using this with a 2009 American Standard Telecaster into a 1974 Fender Twin Reverb, and the tone is, well, excellent. I like it better for rhythm playing than my Full-Drive 2. It's really similar in sound to a Full-Drive on Vintage and Standard (not MOSFET) mode, but a little more open and less compressed sounding to me. It's awesome for smooth, warm, and full classic rock rhythm playing. I prefer the FD (or my Big Muff) for leads and the Big Muff for heavier single note rhythm playing, but for rock chords and lighter single note rhythms, this is exactly how I want to sound.

I'm super impressed. I play classic rock, prog (Rush, Yes), indie, jazz blues, and almost anything else, and this works in many contexts. It's a perfect low/medium gain rhythm sound if you like smooth tones. If you want lots of crunch, you might should look elsewhere (or at an amp), but for me, the SD-1 gives me the rhythm tone I want. And for 50 dollars... Great purchase.

It's a Boss.

I literally took this pedal out of the box and stuck it in my rig without even changing the knobs (they were all at noon) and it already pretty much nailed my ideal rhythm tone. I brought up the volume a little and rolled off the tone slightly, and voila: beautiful rhythm tone in 30 seconds.