ST-2 Power Stack review by Boss

Boss: ST-2 Power Stack

Purchased from: Roxy's Music Store

I use a Fender Mexican Standard Strat, with a humbucker in the bridge into a Peavey Classic 30. I use it on the clean channel and find it works best with a little volume. Love my amps high gain distortion, so I use this mainly as a 3rd amp channel, usually with a lower gain structure. If you turn up a little, with the volume at about 1 o'clock, you can turn up the gain and get a Marshally-type '80s metal distortion. Overall, it sounds pretty good.

I play mainly '70s and '80s rock, and this gets a decent tone for that. If you have a clean amp, I think you would like this. If you hve a cheap 10 watt solid state amp, this isn't your pedal. Go look at some DigiTech if that's what you're playing through. If you have a nice tube amp, and want a nice distortion to complement it, this is your pedal. If I ever lost it, I might return to it, I might look at some MXR's. It depends. Overall, I think most of you would be happy with this pedal.

Like all Boss pedals, I could throw a brick at and it would still work. I would never need at backup at gigs, as I trust this thing very much. It is very solid. I've had 6 Boss pedals before, and they are all built like tanks. Don't worry about a backup. Just like the DS-1, you will probably still be stompimg on it 30 years from now.

It is really easy to use, with only 4 knobs. Level - controlling volume, Bass - controlling low or "bass" frequencies, Treble - controlling high or "treble" frequencies and Sound - changing gain and character of the distortion. The manual is really easy to understand, and helps you have the pedal up and running in a few minutes.