ST-2 Power Stack review by Boss

Boss: ST-2 Power Stack

The first set up I used my new ST-2 with was a LTD H-250 with Duncan Designed pickups, Original EHX Holy Grail reverb, and my Roland Micro-Cube. This was designed to test out whether it did what it claimed and gave you that "stack" feel. It did. When you leave the pedal engaged but don't play through it, there is a fair amount of noise but not loads. As with most distortion pedals it depends on how high you have the gain. Best advice would be just to disengage it when you're not playing - saves battery too. Honestly, the sound really didn't let me down. I needed something to add to my ME-20 and DS-1 rather than just doing the same thing that they already did, and the ST-2 does just that. You get some great low end response which is awesome for power chords and heavier tunes, really solid tone for solos and shredding, and it even gives you what's possibly my favourite sound out of the whole thing, that crisp and crunchy tube amp sound. Boss really haven't missed anything out this time.

For someone who plays classic rock 'n roll, modern rock and a lot of lead/solo stuff, this really does seem to cover everything. With my Les Paul you get that rough bluesy tone that you get from an already breaking up valve amp, with my LTD you can get the thick and punchy distortion that you'd hear on a Nickelback record and with my Strat you can find the really nice blues lead tone similar to some Jeff Beck style lead. There's just about everything really, which is a big improvement on the earlier stuff like the DS-1 if you ask me. The only things I don't like about it are finding the combination of levels on the tone knobs as it can be quite tricky to get the balance right with the gain. But that's a minor issure.

I'd gladly use it without a backup. Partially because I've got plenty of other pedals in my rig that can cover for it, but honestly I couldn't see anything going wrong with it. Anyone who's ever owned a Boss pedal will tell you they're damn near indestructible, and the ST-2 is no different. It's a little black tank. You can tell just by picking it up and throwing it around a bit that no harm can come to it. No worries at all.

After spending a very long time trying to find a sound I liked with my DS-1, I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this pedal when I took it out of the box. I watched a bunch of demos before buying it, and they all made it sound great, I definitely WASN'T disappointed! Took it out of the box, plugged it in, strummed a few power chords and within a matter of minutes had that rich, thick, powerful sound that I was after, and that you'd expect from something named "Power Stack". Didn't bother with the manual, as you very rarely need to with pedals. This stomper is very self explanatory, very easy to use, and sounds amazing all round.

chasetheabyss
    This pedal was cool and interesting until I read
    gu1t@r p3rs0n
    chasetheabyss wrote: This pedal was cool and interesting until I read you can get the thick and punchy distortion that you'd hear on a Nickelback record
    I think I love you. I don't even know you XD