TE-2 Tera Echo review by Boss

Boss: TE-2 Tera Echo

I'm using a Traynor tube amp with the TE-2 in the serial effects loop. My guitar is a first series Fender VG Strat. The TE-2 seems quiet enough in any of the settings. I hear no tone sucking going on, possibly a credit to the Traynor amp in conjunction with the pedal. If you turn the effect level too high, the tone just gets non musical and gets confusing and garbled just like on a delay pedal that is turned too high. Moderation is best. As far as getting the sound of someone else, that is not my bag.

I play rock and in a church. When I bought this, I was in an either-or decision with a Boss DD-7. This pedal will be more useful to me than a standard delay pedal since it can add a warm kind of almost-pad-with-phaser-sound in the background to what I play. It won't be active on every song, but for arpeggios and solos it will work at least half the time. That said I will probably Pick up a DD-7 or DD-20 in a few weeks also, since the TE-2 isn't exactly a delay pedal. I would replace if it were stolen. Video from YouTube:

YouTube preview picture

Geez... It's a Boss pedal. I've owned Boss stuff for decades and you cannot kill them. I expect no different from this one. I was offered an extended warranty at Guitar Center, but that is almost laughable. I've never had a problem with either the simplest or most complex (VG-99 comes to mind here) product from Boss/Roland. I would definitely gig without a backup for this pedal. Besides since I have a moderation theory on effects, I think in the case the pedal was giving me trouble, I'd just put it back in the bag and play straight to amp.

Like all effects the easiest to get quality sound is when you use it with moderation i.e. with the effect level down. Otherwise you have to experiment. With the MDP products from Boss, especially this pedal, it seems there is more than just adjusting the knobs and figuring out if you want it off and on. This thing kind of "thinks" and changes it's sound based on your attack. I have not figured out all the nuances yet, but, it seems to register the attack and length of notes and chords. It also seems to discern a strum, vs a single note pick. How it sounds on an arpeggio is different from a staccato pluck, etc etc. It sounds weird to describe but it works pretty doggone well.

TheNameOfNoone
    It looks like magical objects from fantasy MMORPG-s..... ...or maybe I played a little bit too many games.
    cincycosmo
    As a follow up, after playing it for awhile, if grouped on the board with a DD-7, the DD-7 just gets a lot more time turned on. The TE-2 is nice, but as I stated, it's not a delay, closer to a reverb, and it gets use in the ambient sound role. To be fair, I don't think Boss advertised it to be much more than that. Bottom line is that my board only has so much room and the TE-2 gets bumped off and into storage a lot.