TR-2 Tremolo review by Boss

Boss: TR-2 Tremolo

Purchased from: eBay

I'm using a Gibson SG > Crybaby GCB-95 > Morley Little Alligator > TR-2 > Fender Princeton 112 Plus. There is no extra noise on it no matter what you set it to. It seems like a true-bypass circut but I'm not sure. However my one complaint is that when turned on, the volume, even when it's on the "high point" of the volume, is way lower than what it is without it on. I've tried moving it and it doesn't make a difference.

I play heavy metal and mostly got it for BLS "Bridge To Cross". I've been playing for a while now and have compared this to a DigiTech MultiFX pedal I borrowed from a friend and this blows it away. I hate the volume drop when it shouldn't drop the volume but oh well. If it was stolen I'd get pissed because they stole it but I probably wouldn't buy a new one.

Two words: It's Boss. I've known people that have Boss gear from the late '70s-'80s and they work. I've had it about a year and it's held up great. I would use it on a gig without a backup easily because these things are built to withstand stuff that a cockroach gets killed from.

It only has three knobs so it's pretty easy to get a good sound out of. There is rate (speed) depth (volume) and wave (jagged to soft). I thought it had been broken for about 3 months but the other day I tried it and it worked fine. I had tried batteries and an adapter but I just found out the adapter was broken and I'm guessing the batteries were dead but. The manual has a few presets but they are pretty simple to find out on your own. My only complaint is about the sound.

mudchair
    Dear god.
    the_maestro
    copet wrote: the effect just seems to be scantly used, and I generally don't like how it sounds. Can anyone name some popular songs that use it?
    so because other people don't use it, you shouldn't? I bought one and its a lot of fun to mess with and with a light tremolo a clean part sounds really good
    muso_ chris
    mudchair wrote: iTzMaTT wrote: Instead of purchasing this pedal you could get an amplifier, preferably the Spider III series, which have various effects such as a Tremolo Sweep (this pedal effect). Now with that you can simply purchase a channel switcher which is under 50$ CDN and there you go! Although it depends if you like Line 6 Spiders and if you already have a good amplifier. Dear god.
    hahahahahahahaha
    copet
    I don't imagine myself ever investing in a tremolo pedal, the effect just seems to be scantly used, and I generally don't like how it sounds. Can anyone name some popular songs that use it?
    DiveRightIn63
    "Take Me Back" by Story of the Year, "Anthem of our Dying Day" by Story of the Year barely uses it, and "Polyamorous" by Breaking Benjamin uses it.
    VetteHeadV8
    The most well-known modern example is "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" by Green Day, but I also use mine for the intro to "Polyamorous" by Breaking Benjamin and "Broken Home" by Papa Roach
    Bansaw
    guerrilla radio too. even tho i play bass i use a metal zone and tremolo to play the intro. its fun.
    SweetFancyMoses
    Tremolo pedals are the balls. Poison the Well and mewithoutYou have both used them to great effect. When its subtle its awesome and the extreme settings can be pretty useful. Boss makes a pretty good tremolo but it does drop on the volume. To get one that doesn't reduce the volume you kinda have to go boutique and thereby expensive.
    iTzMaTT