TU-3 Chromatic Tuner review by Boss

Boss: TU-3 Chromatic Tuner

Purchased from: Dawsons Music - Leeds

Hard to give this a rating really seeing as though its a tuner. What it does do however is kill the signal from your guitar to the amp meaning you can tune in silence without the annoying sound coming through the amp. Not essential for home use but no gigging guitarist/bassist should be without one. Not true bypass which may upset some people.

A pedal based tuner is something I've been looking at getting for a while. I have the Boss TU-80 which you have to unplug your guitar from your rig and then plug it into the tuner. Because I already had a tuner I was put off at the thought of paying 80 for something I basically already had. Now I have bought this, I do not regret it one bit. Keeping in tune is a breeze and having joined a band recently I felt this was an essential piece of kit. If this was stolen I would find the person responsible and club them to death with it. The blood red would compliment its white colour quite nicely I imagine. Failing that, I would definitely buy another. Some of you might want to know if this is better than the TU-2. Yes, it is. Its more accurate, the display is brighter and it finds notes faster. The bottom line though, is if you have a TU-2 then its probably not worth spending the 80 for something that is marginally better. If you don't have a pedal based tuner at all, do not hesitate to get this especially if you plan on gigging.

Its a Boss product. What else is there to say? Its basically indestructable. Like all their stompboxes it is made out of metal. The only damage it is ever going to sustain is chipped paint. I would gig with this without a back up, just make sure you have a spare battery or plug and you can bet your life on it.

Its as easy as they come. Plug in your guitar/bass and press the pedal. Play each string and it will show you how sharp/flat you are. Tune accordingly, that's it! Display is crystal clear and bright. Different colours really help to highlight how out of tune you are. Can access drop tunings with ease. You can use this as a chromatic tuner, where the note you are playing is displayed, or you can get it to display the string number being played. I prefer to keep it on chromatic. Can be changed with the touch of a button. Finds notes really quick which makes tuning a breeze. Can be used to learn notes in a scale too! If you know the scale pattern and not the actual notes being played, simply use the pedal in chromatic mode and play through the scale. The notes will be displayed. Only downside is that each string has to be tuned separately unlike on some other tuners where you can just strum the open strings together and the ones out of tune will be displayed.

StillSublime
    GS LEAD 5 wrote: Too many tens.
    Not sure how this is valid, seeing as it is a tuner. This thing would completely destroy my tuner, and mine isn't even a pedal for god's sake.