TU-80 Tuner & Metronome review by Boss

Boss: TU-80 Tuner & Metronome

Purchased from: Axe Music

With the tuner, you can set the tuning from E0 (20.6 Hz) to C8 (4186.0 Hz). The tuning accuracy is +/- 1 cent. I sometimes use the tuner for practising, but I would not use it on a gig, because it is very hard use unless it is in a bright room. With the metronome, you can set the tempo anywhere from 30 to 250, and choose between 10 beats, and 8 styles.

I have been playing guitar for a few years, and I have found it to be quite useful. If this was lost of stolen, I'd probably get the Boss TU-2, because the TU-2 is more durable, and is easier to use in a dimly lit area. I like the ease of use, but I hate how it isn't backlit. I'd recommend paying a little more for a more durable, and backlit tuner.

I would not expect this tuner and metronome to be very durable because it is made out of plastic, and does not look like it was built to withstand a lot. If I was to use this on a gig, I would not bring a backup, because it isn't really necessary. I have dropped it a few times, but that didn't seem to affect it.

This tuner and metronome is very easy to use. The tuner has an input and output, so you can easily tune without having to unplug your guitar from an amp. It does come with a manual, and a quick read through it will help you get used to the controls. The manual is very brief, but it is easy to understand, and covers everything you need to know about the tuner and metronome. It is not backlit, and only has two LEDs, flat and sharp, so, it is hard to use in a dimly lit area.

CapnKickass
    I got it too, I never read the manual and for the longest time I thought the metronome sucked because when I put it on 4/4 time it would do a long short kind of beat, so it turns out to get 4/4 time you have to put it to 0/4. Kinda stupid but it's all good
    9badarv
    you can get a Korg for like $15. it's cheaper and just as good, if not better
    chickrawker
    uhhh...both lights turn on and it beeps when its in tune...you dont really need to see the screen.
    Guitardude19
    I have it. Its a good little tool my only gripe with it is that it doesnt have a damn volume control so I have to turn down the amp if Im using the metronome function.
    DrAsh
    ldl67
    DrAsh wrote: I've got one - it's great and easy to use. Also seems very durable so not sure why scores so low here. My only gripe is that there is no on-screen display showing the beat being played by the metronome.
    I gave it a 6, which is quite high. but it obviously isn't meant to be bashed around.
    fallenjuggalo
    WARLOCK123 : i know this sounds stupid but does it let you use tunings like drop d or drop c?
    I believe so. I have the white one, and it drops down 5 tuning's or so i've been told. Don't know how to get it on Drop B tho!!