TU-80 Tuner & Metronome Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 02/25/2009 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: TU-80 Tuner & Metronome
The BOSS TU-80 brings super-accurate LCD tuning to a very affordable price, while adding unique features like a built-in metronome and Accu-Pitch. The pocket-sized TU-80 runs on batteries and can tune almost any instrument, thanks to a chromatic tuning mode. It even tunes 7-string guitars and 6-string bassesputting the TU-80 in a class all its own.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 3,779
reviews (2) 23 comments vote for this gear:
TU-80 Tuner & Metronome Reviewed by: ldl67, on january 05, 2008

Purchased from: Axe Music

Ease of Use: This tuner and metronome is very easy to use. The tuner has an input and output, so you can easily tune without having to unplug your guitar from an amp. It does come with a manual, and a quick read through it will help you get used to the controls. The manual is very brief, but it is easy to understand, and covers everything you need to know about the tuner and metronome. It is not backlit, and only has two LEDs, flat and sharp, so, it is hard to use in a dimly lit area. // 7

Sound: With the tuner, you can set the tuning from E0 (20.6 Hz) to C8 (4186.0 Hz). The tuning accuracy is +/- 1 cent. I sometimes use the tuner for practising, but I would not use it on a gig, because it is very hard use unless it is in a bright room. With the metronome, you can set the tempo anywhere from 30 to 250, and choose between 10 beats, and 8 styles. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would not expect this tuner and metronome to be very durable because it is made out of plastic, and does not look like it was built to withstand a lot. If I was to use this on a gig, I would not bring a backup, because it isn't really necessary. I have dropped it a few times, but that didn't seem to affect it. // 6

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for a few years, and I have found it to be quite useful. If this was lost of stolen, I'd probably get the Boss TU-2, because the TU-2 is more durable, and is easier to use in a dimly lit area. I like the ease of use, but I hate how it isn't backlit. I'd recommend paying a little more for a more durable, and backlit tuner. // 7

TU-80 Tuner & Metronome Reviewed by: El-Senor, on february 25, 2009

Purchased from: GAK

Ease of Use: No faulting the product for ease of use: simply swith it on, plug in the guitar cable and you're away. The AccuPitch is a nice addition, if a little unnecessary, but overall, the tuner seems very accurate. Other cheap tuners, chromatic or otherwise seem to have problems telling you when you hit the exact note, the needle often drifting sharp or flat, making it difficult to tell when you get the note perfect: I dont get this problem much at all with this tuner: the two LEDs light when you hit the note exactly, and a sound is given out after about a second when the string is consistently at that pitch. I use this solely as a tuner, and thus the metronome is just a redundant feature for me: I figure if you want a metronome, buy a metronome. Being chromatic also lets you tune to all of the semitones, and I can readily tune my guitar to all sorts of exotic and dropped tunings - a must have if you like to play in something like E-flat. I have this running off the second output of my DigiTech Bad Monkey - just turn the BM off, and the tuner is engaged and no need to run the tuner in my effects chain so no colouring of tone. Simple. // 9

Sound: As a tuner, it's accurate to +/- 1 cent, which is more than enough. I tuned my guitar with this, then tested it with a Boss TU-2, and satisfyingly they were consistent with each other. So no problems with quality of tuning: of course its not gig worthy as it's niether a foot pedal, nor has a mains input or backlit background, but for bedroom use, there's no need for anything more. A gigging alternative would be a TU-2 or Pitchblack, which have bypasses built in. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I see no reason why I couldnt depend on this tuner: its accurate and as long as you know you have a good set of batteries, it shouldnt break down. I wouldnt gig with it, mainly because its not a stomp box, nor is it backlit: it's not intended to be a gigging tuner. It is plastic, and feels like it could be broken with considerable force, but it's also very lightweight, so if you do drop it, its not the end of the world. Again, if you use it as it's intended to be used, and look after it, Im sure it would last well. I must say it lacks the feel of quality that Boss stompboxes have, but again, that quality is gigging quality, and you pay for it. For less than 20GBP, what can you expect? // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, Im satisfied. If you bought this tuner with the impression that you could gig with it, then you would naturally be disappointed, but being realistic about when and where you're using it would avoid that problem. If I was gigging, I'd most likely buy a Korg Pitchblack, but Im not, so I have no need. Even if I was, I would probably keep one of these handy in my guitar case just incase. If stolen, I'd get another because at that price, it's not a great deal to pay. No backlight is slightly annoying, as is the lack of mains input, but thats roaming into stompbox territory, which means more money. Chromatic tuning for a low price though is what I wanted, and it's what I got, so Im completely satisfied. Like I say, I wouldnt buy this for the metronome function: its too quiet and fiddly to use, and seems like an afterthought to try and make it more marketable. As a tuner though... brilliant. // 9

Comments