XT-2 Xtortion review by Boss

Boss: XT-2 Xtortion

This is a really unique pedal. It can sound anywhere between a standard distortion, a fuzz, or at its worst a DOD grunge. When I first got it I was pairing it with a Boss blues driver into a peavy bandit (my high school garage band set up haha) Anyway the xtortion provided a decent slightly harsher than Overdrive sound that I would boost with the blues driver for harder sections. Fast forward 7 years. I have better equipment, an old 20 watt penncrest (JC pennies version of a 60's Sears tube amp) and a 70s Schecter Strat model. I put this in front of the penncrest with a Boss delay on a slapback setting, rolled back the volume and tone on the guitar and holy shit. I got a really harmonic, almost Sparkle Drive like tone. Think sonic youth's more melodic passages. It responds great with open chords, which alot of distortion pedals muddy up too much. Essentially, I feel as though this is an incredibly underrated pedal. For those of you who play Indie or noise, this is a unique sound that I know a lot of people don't have. I read that there was only 20000 actually made. With a good hand wired tube amp turned to just below breaking point, this thing can sing.

Its not going to sound good until you have f--ked with it for a while. The sweet spot exists but the shit spots exist too, perhaps more so. The amp plays a major factor.

its boss.

4 knobs, Level and dist are obvious perameters, but the contour and punch take a fair amount of experimentation to find something that is practical and ear pleasing. I didn't have the manual but generally Boss pedals are user friendly enough. not necessary

WhiteStripesIII
    XT-2 is one of my favourite distortions pedals. Love mine, although it's very marmitey - lots of people hate the sound of it too.
    keneticshark24
    personally, i love this. can get some gnarly interesting timbres and sounds out of it, looks cool too. red and glittery-like. don't think of it as a "LOL metal" pedal, it's quite flexible and worth it if you can find one.
    Stone Agean
    hellview_666 wrote: ML-2 MetalCore much? Only difference is Contour is replaced with Bass and Punch is replaced with Treble.
    No, that's not true. 'The tone controls are called Countour and Punch and is not just a renaming of bass and treble. Contour cuts highs or boosts highs and lows while Punch controls the distortion depth and adds a mid boost'.
    joshbradleyds1
    I personally really like this pedal a lot. very different in its sound structure. wonder how it would sound on a bass???