OD-100 Overdrive review by Boston Engineering

• Users' score: 7 (1 vote)
Boston Engineering: OD-100 Overdrive

Purchased from: Music World BC PH

It is pretty straight forward and easy to get a decent sound out of it, it just has 4 knobs and you would get your sound in a few minutes of tweaking. It does it's job as a good entry level overdrive for your tube amp however. The manual is straightforward and is just usually technical stuff (parts and operation). The manual doesn't give you presets but that is not needed in my opinion. I don't recommend this on a solid state that much, almost impossible to create a good sound out of, but that is just me.

Using this pedal I played bright rock, jazz and acoustic (using the pedal as a clean boost). I used this pedal with an Orange Tiny Terror on the local shop for hours, boosting the gain channel on rock and jazz. The pedal is pretty decent, it actually reminds me of a Boss Blues Driver (other people claim it is a clone of the DigiTech Bad Monkey). The tone is round and not that bad. However it influences your tone in some degree, and in a Tube perspective that isn't really good... mostly due to it not being a true bypass pedal. The effect also lacks sustain, but for the price you get what you pay for.

Just like any other Boston Engineering/Beta Aivin pedals the construction is rugged and has a metal enclosure. I for one am not sure with the quality of circuitry however, but some agree that they are clones of BOSS pedals. People will appreciate the solid design and the weight of this pedal at first impression. The finish is tough, it will take a long time for it to fade, and that the foot switch is mostly rubberized. I for one couldn't depend on it 100%, I would bring a backup to be sure since I've seen some of these die out. However mine has been fine for many months now.

I'm a metal guitarist so it doesn't really reach my tone as high as I dial the gain knob, however the ability of this pedal to produce decent jazz and blues sounds and it does it well. I have been playing for 10 years and I find this pedal decent at best. For this pedal to truly shine, I would recommend pairing it with other effects that could improve the tone. But being not-true bypass that may seem a little bit backward, and I wish it had better sustain. However that doesn't change the fact that this does what it does, and just shy of 40 bucks you get what you pay for.