Plexitone review by Carl Martin

Carl Martin: Plexitone

Purchased from: GC

I am using a Fender HSS strat through a Fender Evil Twin tube amp. The effect is pretty good, I just have a couple of issues with it. You can get it to sound like a cool distortion, but that is about all you can do. After the crunch, there isn't much extra added to it with the next gain switch. And when you are using a neck pickup it doesn't sound so great. probably why Eddie just used to have one bridge PU and that was it. Boost can boost very loud.

The issues I have with this thing are what I said before about the 2nd stage gain not adding much to the first - so you get a decent gain, but it could go further and would be better. I also have a Keeley modded Boss BD-2 pedal and the Boss pedal sounds exactly like the Plexitone when cranked with full gain. However, the Boss sounds much much better when the gain is less, than the Plexitone does. For the money, I'd go with a Keeley modded BD-2 for sure. I'm taking my Plexitone back to GC.

Don't know, only had it a few days. Feels strong. It is making me type in 200 more characters in this space, which is dumb since I have no idea how reliable it is. I'd write more reviews if I didn't have to write a book!

Easy to use. Has a Drive, then another switch for more gain, then a boost. The manual is terrible. It's really a sales sheet for all their products. It just has one tone knob for both channels. A separate one for each channel would be nice. Or a high, mid, low instead of 1 knob.

rv_phoenix
    It is way too expensive for its features and operating. That's because it's handmade in Denmark, not because it has some mil' spec tubes or germanium transistors in it. Great review.
    Strangeman86
    The boost is probably after the clipping elements of the circuit, which will only make it louder, not distort more.