Plexitone review by Carl Martin

Carl Martin: Plexitone

Purchased from: Online

I've been playing for almost 20 years, and have had many pedals, amps, guitars, etc. This pedal is among the best I've ever had. You can dial in a very rich authentic Marshall sound. It sounds like a cranked 100 watt Plexi. It even "feels" like a dynamic tube amp. Very responsive to your Pick attack. Cleans up well when you roll off the volume a bit. In crunch mode you can get some very true AC/DC type distortion. Rich and ballsy if I may say so. In high gain mode it just takes off from there. Excellent sounding gain. Not modern metal kind of gain. Just good Vintage rock and roll. The pedal has a good amount of bass and treble on tap, but it never becomes muddy or fizzy. I find it very useful to throw a tube Screamer in front of it for solo's, to get a little boost in the mids. The boost function is a clean boost. It wont add any Drive to your sound, just volume. And it's capable of giving you plenty of volume boost if needed. This pedal needs to be played with humbuckers and sounds best through a clean amp. Clean to barely pushed. Though single coils sound good as well, I think it was made to match with humbuckers.

My overall impression of this pedal is a very surprising one. Meaning I'm always skeptical of how OD pedals sound. But this one has really blown me away. It is a real Marshall in a box. I think its a keeper for a long time coming.

The housing seems very sturdy and dependable. The footswitches are pretty tough as well. There are no layers of bulletproof armor but I think it can handle a beating.

Very simple to use. Crunch setting, high gain setting, tone, volume, and boost. The chickenhead style knobs are a little sensitive to the touch, meaning a strong breeze might move them a little. But the rotary dials make it easy to dial in exactly what you want. It is not battery powered, not can it be powered with say, a one-spot. It has its own built in power supply that needs to be plugged in.