EP-PRE review by ClinchFX

ClinchFX: EP-PRE

Price paid: € 150

Purchased from: Peter Clinch

The layout of this pedal is very simple: one on/off switch and one knob for the volume/boost. Inside it has also a little switch to change the two different voice characteristics to either the earlier or later Echoplex models, which are supposed to have small differences. But to be quite honest I never opened it up and changed the settings in there. The size is quite small (pretty comparable to a MXR Phase 90) although I think Peter Clinch offers an even smaller nano-version without a battery-compartment.

It "enhances" the sound greatly! Broadens the frequency range of your guitar and gives the overall sound more fullness. It's like taking a blanket off the speakers. I do not use it as a booster. I have it set on 9 o'clock so it hardly affects the volume, but it definitely does affect the sound. Would not wanna live without it. I have it always turned on and hardly evers switch it off. It may sound a little too much when used with active pickups such as EMGs but I do not own a guitar equipped with those.

Pretty well-built pedal, although the housing is made of plastic it's pretty durable. The red LED is a bit to bright for my taste, but that's nitpicking on my site. Since the pedal is hardly ever turned off it does not really get a lot of "stepping action." The only bad thing I experienced is that sometimes i hit the volume knob accidentally and turn it down all the way. Not noticing it, I start to wonder why I my amp stays silent and start checking my cable and plugs. So look out for that or just put some tape on the knob to hold it in place.

When you think of enhancing your sound/tone most people think of new pickups, new cables and so on. THIS IS IT. Of course a good cable will go a long way, no question about it. But if you find yourself trying out cables and not being satisfied with your sound even when you tried it all, have a go with this pedal. It will really make you wonder, why not everybody uses it! The simplicity of it all is pretty much astounding and it definitely does not change the character of your amp/guitar, it just gives your setup a bit more "flesh."

peter.clinch
    "although the housing is made of plastic" No, the housing is Die Cast Aluminium, powder coated black, and always has been. The jack sockets are genuine Cliff nylon.
    blackhawk88
    indeed, to my untrained eye it actually did look like some sort of plastic, but it actually is aluminum. it being very light combined with the matte finish might have given me that impression.