EP+ Review

manufacturer: ClinchFX date: 07/06/2011 category: Guitar Effects
ClinchFX: EP+
Couldn't be simpler - one knob. Stop turning it when your guitar sounds good.
 Ease of Use: 10
review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
EP+ Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 06, 2011

Price paid: A$ 198

Purchased from: Clinchfx.com

Ease of Use: Couldn't be simpler - one knob... Stop turning it when your guitar sounds good. Comes replete with manual, which I have yet to find recourse to refer to. Haven't fiddled around with signal chain placement as yet, not really much of a delay/reverb type guy, so this guy goes at the end of my chain. From what I understand delays/mod effects should go after the EP+. Battery use is possible but not recommended - takes 9 or 12 volt neg centre pin power. // 10

Sound: Played it with an R4 Les Paul into a Victoria 35310 and it gave the system a nice jolt of tubby mids and airy crunch with enough Drive and headroom to substantially increase the percieved output of the amp. While it's not strictly an EQ (it supposedly acts more upon the phasing of the upper order harmonics) it does lend authority to the mids and a cinematic shimmer to the top end. It reigns in the icepick highs I can sometimes get with my treble booster, and makes the full force of my various fuzz pedals known in no uncertain terms. It adds a little noise to the signal if boosted (it does work at unity gain and below), but what boost doesn't? For those in the know this is an damned fine approximation of the Echoplex EP-3 pre-amp section, used by Jimmy Page and a bunch of righteous tone-hounds, and it definitely makes the notes pop outta the speakers. Tried it this morning between an old SG and a JTM-45 into an open back cab... Oh my goodness that sounded good... Clean, dirty, rain, shine, whatever, I'm never turning this thing off... // 10

Reliability & Durability: Seems pretty solidly built, comes with velcro already attached to the bottom so you know it's ready to go into service, and given the fact that it's a set n' forget addition to my rig and won't be getting kicked on/off I imagine that it'll stay in mint nick for many years to come... // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock, in all it's bluesy, jazzy, countryfied prog stoner faceted glory, and I can't imagine going back to life without this pedal. I've had it for two days and already it's as precious to me as my left nut. I've been playing for 18 years, own some nice old Fenders n Gibsons, the afore-mentioned amps, and I dig classic tones. There is nothing to dislike about this pedal, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. I spose it's in the same vein as the Xotic EP-Booster, tho this is a more electronically accurate take on the EP-3 and doesn't suffer from having DIP switches that nobody seems to use. I'd buy another in a second just in case this one went belly up, but I don't see that happening. Peter and Mandy are good people and I commend them on their customer service and fine workmanship. Even guys who don't normally use pedals are going to love what this does to their sound. // 10

Comments