Deeelay review by CMATmods

CMATmods: Deeelay

Purchased from: www.cmatmods.com

This pedal was designed to mimic older analog delays (I'm not sure if the pedal itself is analog or digital) that are warm and resonant, and it accomplishes those goals with equal success. But despite the warmth it's still articulate (ie, the repeats don't get so muddy). It's not noisy in the least, even with distortion pedals in front of it. Again, wonderfully simple and effective (plus, terribly affordable for a hand built pedal).

I know some people prefer the 'cleaner' sound of a digital or modern delay, I like the old-school feel of this pedal. It would do well in any situation I imagine, though since it's a stand alone box with only one setting to be had at a time, people desiring more than one delay setting may require two of this pedal (or, a different pedal with multiple settings). But it suits me perfectly.

This is actually the second Deeelay I've owned. I sold the first after I got the cockamaimy idea to get a multi-effects unit. Since I realized that was sort of like cheating lol (I like assembling an efficient pedal board, it's like a tonal puzzle) I bought another because I loved it so much the first time around. Had it for months, stomped on it, taken it across country (in cars and on planes in suitcases) with no issues seen or in sight.

It's a simple delay pedal, plug, adjust and play. Three knobs for: delay time (from almost instant slap-back up to roughly 600ms), blend (how much clean signal vs wet signal you want) and repeats (how long you want to hear the sound repeating). Chad always sends a detailed manual with his pedals, though the pedals themselves are terribly user friendly anyway. This pedal follows the KISS method (keep it simple stupid).