Blood Drive Distortion Review

1,764
review (1) pictures (2) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Blood Drive Distortion Reviewed by: rob904, on april 15, 2010

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Ease of Use: Strange at first, but easy to get the hang of. Three knobs Inject (Volume), Bleed (Treble Boost), and Filth (Distortion). The names are the strange part, but they're explained in the book so the strangeness ends there. // 10

Sound: I use it through a Marshall Split Fifty, with a ZW Cry Baby, ZW Overdrive, and a Rocktron Hush to quiet the system. Guitars I run it with it are an LTD EC-50, that I've modified with the Seymore Duncan Hot Rodded pickup set, and BC Rich Assassin PX3T. I've also used it through the Slash custom JCM. I use it as a boost, although it does get a decent distortion on its own through the JCM. The treble boost function is a little difficult to use, at high volumes it's easy to crank it too much, which will make your ears bleed. Although if you use it correctly it'll make it so your tone just gets a little extra edge, and is great for leads. The distortion is DARK. The Marshall Split Fifty I use has an extremely bright Overdrive channel, when combined with this pedal it is a completely dark balls to the wall distortion. When run through the Slash JCM, which is also an extremely bright amplifier, the distortion is dark, and reaches the balls to the wall level without using the amps lead channel, although I had to tweak the settings on the amp before I got the distortion I was looking for. Although it's a distortion pedal, if you turn down the distortion knob, and use a combination of the treble boost and volume knobs decent bluesy tones can be achieved, adding just a bit of bite to your clean tones. Extremely diverse for something that looks like it should only be able to achieve Death Metal tones. Only complaint is that when used as a boost it is noisy, but the Rocktron Hush clears that problem up for me. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Wired by MXR, built like a tank. Steel casing, big hefty button. I've thrown it a few times, still works. But that's true of most pedals, would gig with out a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for just over 5 years, and I play mostly metal, so the dark tone it gets works great for me. The treble boost is a little difficult to work with, but once you get the hang of it it's quite useful. When I bought I read a plethora of reviews before committing to it, one reviewer on the musiciansfriend went as far as saying he'd use it to replace his Ibanez TS-9. Not sure I agree with that though, I think they get completely different tones. Had I known when I bought it that it wouldn't give me that Death Metal tone right out of the box, I might have opted for something else. But after owning it for two years, and getting to know it I'm quite happy. Would definitely replace it if it was lost or stolen, or just find the person who stole it and creatively get it back. // 8

Comments