One Knob Fuzz Review

1,884
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
One Knob Fuzz Reviewed by: Duv, on march 19, 2010

Purchased from: Macari's London

Ease of Use: Couldn't be easier to use. As the name states it is a one knob fuzz. Nothing to it but an in and out jack, an on/off Switch and the knob altering the degree of fuzz. Inside there is a roller to adjust the level of the pedal to match one's bypass. One thing that's a little tricky is getting to the insides. There's two screws on the side to open up the bottom, but it's really hard working out the base from the shell. For that it loses a point. // 9

Sound: At the moment this is being played through a Vox AC4TV and a Marshall DSL401 amp, and a MIM Fender Telecaster and a MIJ Fender Jaguar. It is a touch noisy which is a downside but positioned in the right place you can clear that up alright. This pedal recreates a 60s crunchy fuzz sound. Comparing this to the other fuzz pedals in the Colorsound range I chose this as it was more of a classic crunch sound over a 70s rock sound which is a bit smoother. I can easily recreate crunchy hendrix tones or even more modern music like Sonic Youth or the Arctic Monkeys. When the knob is at its lowest it's quite bassy and muffled, and at the other extreme it's much more open and raspy. Although it has a very simple design, a wide variety of tones are achievable. Between 1 and 5 this pedal can be quite dark, perfect for grungey tones and rhythm work. Roll back the volume control on the guitar and it clears up beautifully which gives chord work a bit of subtle crunch. At the other end the sound is harsher and more trebly which is super for lead work but also harsher rhythm work, especially on my Jaguar. One let down with this is that it tends to overpower the delay pedal that I have next in my chain. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a big flipper shaped metal case with one knob and an on/off switch. I can't see much going wrong here. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is a fantastic pedal. When I was looking for a fuzz I was looking at the usual suspects, the Dunlop Fuzz, the EHX ones etc. As soon as I played this it blew them all out of the water. A simple design but so effective. I would definitely recommend it for people who are looking for this kind of fuzz (I don't think it's right for metal) and woulf buy it again if stolen. // 10

Comments