Solid Metal review by Damage Control

Damage Control: Solid Metal

Purchased from: AMS

I used to use this pedal with a Randall RG100 212 w/Celestion 70/80's and I got the most amazing tone. I now play it on different amps because I have to borrow amps since my Randall blew up on me. I play with an LTD MV200 with active EMG's (81 in the bridge and a single coil EMG in the neck). The EMG's give this pedal head room, I keep the Drive a little over halfway and I get plenty of gain. with non-active electronics you have to crank the Drive up a bit more, but it still has a bit of headroom left (I haven't played a guitar on it yet that called for turning the Drive all the way up). This pedal can make a shitty amp sound good. Not great or awesome, but a lot better than it used to (keep in mind, this may depend on the circuitry or speakers). This pedal acts like a tube amp with picking dynamics and such, and it just keeps sounding better. I'd say it took me about 2 months to break it in really good, like most tube amps.

I play metal/hardcore/screamo type stuff that calls for similar but different tones and this pedal can dial in all the distortions I need. It was meant for metal. I've been able to closely match Lamb Of God tones (Sacrament and As The Palaces Burn), Killswitch tones, Vanna tones, It Dies Today tones, and it gives me great lead tones. Keep in mind, this is not a tube amp! I do not hallow this pedal over tube amps, I just can't afford one right now. If you cannot afford a tube amp, I strongley recommend this pedal; if you can afford one, buy a tube amp! I love this pedal and it's been well worth the $200. If it were stolen I'd kill whoever stole it and I would'nt buy it again b/c I'm saving for a 05 or a used Mesa Road King.

This is a very durable pedal, I've had it over a year now, I've takin it everywhere, it's been dropped, tossed around, sprinkled with water, and it's holding up fine. It has a Solid Metal chasis so that may be why it's so durable. I would trust it at a gig for sure.

First of all this pedal is a tube pedal, not a an analog distortion, this is the real deal. It has two 12AX7's and it gives the closest sound to a tube amp I've ever heard without it being a tube amp. The manual is very simple. It's not the easiest to get the tone you want out of the pedal, it takes a little dialing in but it doesn't take too long. After about a week I had a really good tone that suited my style. It's really simple to use, there's five knobs: level, drive, treble, low, and mid-scoop. You have to balance between the pedals EQ and the amps EQ to get a good sound. And every amp is different.

HardAsButter
    Nathan You suck....haha...great reveiw....but ur pedal kinda sucks alittle now.....but yeah.....Mine's still in good condition and yeah it's a great pedal but i would prefer a tube amp like you said. but yeah.....monkeys and buttsecks.....
    CrippleBastards
    I have the money to buy one of these right now but it seems too pricey for just one pedal..But then again i've heard lots of good things...Oh man
    mikerockstar
    Finally took the plunge and got one. This is a fantastic pedal. Major gain and tones with this. I play tons of heavy stuff, and use this mostly with my baritone guitar (C-standard and drop-A# tunings). It's awesome. Best distortion pedal I've played yet.
    Huffman
    drop c is for shit metal ... no offence but the days of good metal ended with maiden, gun, ect. new metal=shit
    guy_on_guitar
    Does anyone know/think that this thing would sound good for slipknot/ bullet for my valentine with a Squier Strat (for now) and a marshall MG30dfx?? A reply would be great cuz i'm looking into this as opposed to any other boss/digitech stomp boxes .
    Chevelle454
    sweet pedal. i got one and i got a tone that i like. real high gain with a lot of chug in drop B. it definitely uses the tubes, unlike richardmorris said
    guy_on_guitar
    Okay thanks man. But I don't knoooow. I've heard the POD 2.0 (played by killrbuckeye on youtube), and he got amazing tones for things like Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, stuff like that. The Pod and this are 2 different things, I realize... Hmmmm. I guess I'll start out with something more versatile and get this later. Maybe.
    tomsawyer67
    Phill-Rock wrote: but I use it at church every sunday/wed What church do you GO TO that you need a heavy metal distortion pedal?!
    I wanna go to yer church!!!