AD-1 Wasabi Forward Reverse Delay Review

manufacturer: Danelectro date: 01/05/2006 category: Guitar Effects
Danelectro: AD-1 Wasabi Forward Reverse Delay
Wasabi Forward Reverse Delay pedal has up to 3 full seconds of warm forward or reverse delay. A hi-cut attenuator delivers vintage lo-fi echoes.
 Ease of Use: 7
 7.8
 7.6
 2,981
review (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
AD-1 Wasabi Forward Reverse Delay Reviewed by: Rivers, on january 05, 2006

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Ease of Use: There is no doubt that although being a useful tool, the Wasabi Delay is a product that definitely takes some time to get used to and as a result one is not rewarded with a great sound right off the bat. To make things worse it doesn't come with a manual to point you in the right direction, however with some tinkering one can eventually learn how to use this great pedal. On the other hand, the tap tempo that is included is a breeze to use (just tap the pedal three times to the beat of your song) and works amazingly. // 7

Sound: I run the pedal along with my Epiphone LP and my Fender Twin (although I have tried it on other guitars like a strat and an SG). Although many guitarists have an affinity for analog pedals, I believe this is a great example of digital effects at their finest. The Wasabi pedal is great as a subtle addition to a solo or rhythm part, or can be turned up to create ambient Coldplay X&Y type sounds. An added bonus that many delay pedals dont have is reverse delay (such as the Boss pedals which split these into two pedals. ) This effect is great when you want to make some trippier music, be it from the era of psychadaelia or more modern groups such as Radiohead or Sigur Ros. All of this being said, the Wasabi Delay tends to work better through a clean channel than a distorted one which leaves you with a very messy sort of sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Through a series of unfortnuate accidents this pedal has been dropped and mistreated on a number of occassions and has come out of it without a scratch. I've had it for quite awhile and am amazed by its resliance. My one major complaint concerning this pedal is the bad luck I've had running it on a battery (it tends to make strange noises and not really work at all), but through the AC adapter it is flawless and I would use it without backup during a gig. // 7

Overall Impression: Perhaps if I was recording the follow up to my triple platinum album I may go and buy the seperate reverse and forward delay pedals from Boss, however, I find for the light gigging I do as well as jamming and recording it more than gets the job done and produces effects that make me seem like a better musician than I am. I've been for about 5 years now and I play a lot of alternative type rock (Radiohead, Muse, Bloc Party), I find this pedal is an absolute neccesity in my case. My favourite effect is play arpeggioed triads repeatedely with either reverse or forward delay on as it makes an amazing sound as though there are many guitars playing together. Although I am not sure if this is the best solution for delay and reverse delay on the market, if you buy this pedal you wont be dissapointed. // 9

Comments