CO-1 Cool Cat Drive review by Danelectro

Danelectro: CO-1 Cool Cat Drive

Price paid: C$ 32

Purchased from: Long And Mcquade

I'm being an arse and running a Danelectro Longhorn Bass into this, into either an ARC tube amp or a Traynor BassMate10. Usually with a Cool Cat Choru infront of the Drive. As Such, you can get some harsh feedback on the neck pickup at high drives, due to it being microphonic by design. This is a fault of the guitar, not the pedal. You have the same zones of "URG" that the DS-1 Has, but you can go a bit deeper. A Low Drive and high tone, with a medium chorus sounds grand, however.

You can easily rip off the Killers sounds, and many, many others. As I said. DS-1. Also, the True Bypass is an improvement over Boss. Tone preservation.

I play anything that catches my fancy, Including mauling Solos to play on the bass. It works fine for messing about, and can get some ear shattering tone. It has it's place. I've been playing for over a year, and my gear consists of the ARC amp, the Traynor amp, Tons of Danelectro Effects, My Dano Longhorn Bass, my Dano '63 Bass, and an old Eko Semi Accoustic. Which gets feedback like no tomorrow. I wish nothing. It's a standard pedal, and I tested before buying. If It was stolen or lost, I'd get a Wasabi, Daddy-o or Blue Paisley Pedal. More bang.

It's silver, it looks good with steampunk, and it has a blue LED. Gleeeee. And I chose it over the DS-1 becasue my friend is anti Danelectro. And He was PO'd when he found out the difference in sound was very, very, small.

It's made of Metal. It has True Bypass. It lasts forever on batteries. It's a tank, and it'll Live through most normal hardships.

I would Probably have another as a backup. Mostly becasue I lose things. Reliable and durable.

This pedal is pretty dang straight forewards. It's an average Boss DS-1 Clone, and can get every sound the DS-1 can handle. Major diffrences between it and the Boss are mostly the ammount of change the tone Knob gives you compared to the Boss; You can push it a bit darker.

The main problem with use is the knobs are hidden in the back there, so you can have some problems doing an on the fly modify. The Manual is pretty useful, It has a few sample settings and has some wit to go with.

deltacross
    EDIT: it's not Marshally nor crunchbox tone.. the Cool Cat Drive is like a copy of the Fulltone OCD V1..
    ProgFolk12
    It's an OCD clone yes, and a very good one at that. Play them side by side and compare for yourself
    deltacross
    i think it's not a DS-1 clone. i'm getting a kind of Marshally tone from it. something like a crunchbox, without the aggressiveness.
    jean_genie
    I've used all of these Cool Cat pedals. None of them are breathtaking, but most of them are an excellent value. Offhand, I think the less-expensive Metal Distortion was the only one I didn't like.
    Black Paranoia
    im trying to get one because i want a cheap pedal for my band and because were still in the starting stages than its better to get some cheap stuff at first
    din_blix
    Cool cat drive? I have an original cool cat chrous, nice pedal, most other danos are weak sauce.