Cool Cat review by Danelectro

Danelectro: Cool Cat

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Playing this distortion pedal through a Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 30DFX and a Squier Strat, it provides a much different sound as compared to the standard distortion channel of my amp. Hughes & Kettner and Danelectro are both tone-based electronics producers, and with the pedal no tone whatsoever is lost.

For me, my Cool Cat works perfectly for the type of music I play and the sound I love to hear. Although it isn't near the top of the market in terms of technology or sound, for forty bucks you get a much better pedal than what the money indicates. I play mostly alt/grunge/rock/metal, and its capabilities cover these areas beautifully. It tends to be a bit sensitive when bringing up the level, however I suppose that is to be expected. Although simple, I find that the stacked controls for treble and bass is an interesting concept. I did compare the pedal to a Boss pedal that was the exact same price with good reviews, but read that you lose a lot of tone when looking for slightly higher distortion. I had also heard great things about Danelectro, and decided to take a chance. Thus far, everything has worked out very well.

This here is a metal stomp box for a great price that will last for a good long time. However, I would recommend purchasing the power adapter. The batteries won't last long regardless, and if you forget to turn it off then you'll most likely wake up to find that you need to replace the batteries.

My Danelectro CD-1 Cool Cat Distortion Pedal is a very good piece of equipment by almost every standard, especially considering that it was 40 dollars. As advertised, it does have a classic sound, but has that grind you like to hear when you need it. The manual is very easy to read and gives you 3 preset examples along with instructions and explanations for all controls. Presets include, "Classic Rock Grind", "Southern Rock Slide Zone", and "Chips and Salsa".

Zetsword
    Yea well I wish I was as lucky as everyone else, I got a Cool Cat from Guitar Center and one week later I try to use it and for some reason I can hardly get any kind of chorusy effect out of it, so there must be something wrong with it's input or something like that, because my cords are workin' fine.
    bluesnewb
    how does the cool cat distortion compare to the boss ds-1 and also how does the cool cat metal 2 compare to the mt-2
    [DookieShoes]
    the cool cats have nothing on the daddy-o. it works fine as an overdrive pedal (great as a matter of fact) but if you dial it up right you get amazing distortion tones from anywhere to an angus young type thing to some harder death-metal/metal-core stuff, it's really great (as in better than boss for the money)
    R0ck My W0rld
    Yo guys I bought a Danelectro cool cat metal 2 pedal, and i was wondering if this is the exact pedal for slipknot.
    marty86
    $79 sounds about right for Australian dollars. Very keen on seeing a review of the cool cat fuzz, Dano stuff not available around here, have to order from the us of a.