Cool Cat CM-1 Metal review by Danelectro

Danelectro: Cool Cat CM-1 Metal

Purchased from: Guitar Center.com

I'm running this little guy through an Epiphone Les Paul Special II and an Epi Studio 15 watt amp. The pups on my guitar are not the best, however, this pedal sends out some seriously heavy sound. The range you of styles you can get are endless, and it can get down to albums. At the moment, I sound like Metallica live now a days. It's a strong pedal for it's price. It does get a tad noisy, and full gain should be avoided. The CM-1 Metal is great for rock too.:)

As a metal head and rock fan, this pedal really does do it's job, and is really fun to play with and get different sounds out of. I've been playing for a couple months, and I have to say I set my priorities straight with getting pedals before new gat, amp, ect. I had no knowledge of how this pedal sounded prior to buying it, and I was impressed. If it was stolen or lost, I would replace it without second thought. I love the way it sounds in general, and it's got a really modern/vintage look to it. I had used a Line VI amp's built in distortion, and definitely preferred my pedal. It's a fun little pedal, definitely recommend it to any guitarist on a budget ;)

I feel like I can depend on this pedal, it's got a long battery life, and features a metal casing, so feel free to stomp the crap out of it. I don't feel like it will break on me and I would use it on a gig without a backup.

The knobs are located on the back of the pedal, making what you're adjusting hard to see. The treble and mids knobs are stacked, making adjusting these two settings difficult. The same with the volume and the bass. It's pretty simple to get a good sound out of it however.

guitar_god1293
    im sorry man but if you've been playing for a couple of months only you really shouldn't be reviewing anything
    ChucklesMginty
    When I'd been playing 2 months I could barely hear the difference between humbuckers and single coils..
    ProgFolk12
    I heard about that but I never knew it went that far, I juts thought he voted against gay marriages or somethign similar. Shame cos Dano make some nice clones, I've got a CC drive, believe it's a fulltone OCD clone and it's a very good OD
    Decapped
    SlayingDragons
    He thinks he has his priorities strait, when he actually has them pretty backwards. You're supposed to find an good amp that you like, before you start messing around with pedals. But, you know, whatever.
    JakkSatch wrote: Well it is 30 bucks, but the Cool Cat series have some really awesome pedals. Metal case, true bypass...and the effects are kind of a copy of real famous pedals...you should really check it out =)
    I've built a pedal or two before, and 'true bypass' is extremely simple, which is why I can't help but luagh whenever a company advertises having having true bypass in their pedals, like it's some kind of innovative technology. It's a DPDT switch that switches the input between the circuit and strait to the output jack. Anyway, you shouldn't be reviewing a product if you've only been playing a few months.
    BrokenDstring
    I feel like the first few months of playing guitar is really pure bliss. Ignorance is bliss, remember? I have been playing almost a decade now and I really can't agree with giving Dano-anything a 10...but when I was in my first year or so, I suppose I would have given anything a 10. This is a great review for new and inexperienced players looking to take their first step into the world of pedals. However...I still think an all-tube head and a 4x12 is all you really need...
    Taint McGooch
    gizmodious wrote: neoamir wrote: you are obviously not experienced with pedals. you cannot get a 10 sound on 30 bucks.... Since when does price make the product? Tards. Having said that, I'm a spoiled BOSS brat who will only venture away from the brand for Wah.
    You should look into MXR and Visual Sounds
    benx3000
    What does he donate to?
    gizmodious
    gfreak117
    I have a cool cat distortion pedal. The battery life isnt great but it is true bypass and a metal case. Its not bad for 30 bucks. I would rate it only around 8 overall.
    JakkSatch
    neoamir
    ProgFolk12
    Actually I don't know if it's just mine but the true bypass appeared to be a lie. It seems anyone will use true bypass as a selling point these days, but true bypass is a bit vague, I've found plenty of 'true bypass' pedals which just aren't
    Decapped
    There was a heck of a lot of people that donated for Prop 8 according to that blog's source. You would end up with a huge list of banned products/services if you didn't want to support those groups. I like Danelectro and honestly I don't care that much for homosexual rights so I think I'll keep buying their stuff. Btw, thanks for the link Barden.
    barden1069
    Decapped wrote: You'll have to cite your source about their donations... The only thing I could find was that they donated to an orphanage in Kenya. And don't discourage the dude who wrote the article. He wrote exactly what he knew about the petal which doesn't require a long guitar-playing experience.
    http://h-double.livejournal.com/2278.ht ml It says here he donated like $10,000 to support Proposition 8 in California, which was in support of a ban on gay marriage. Then again, this is just a blog but I'm pretty sure the link in it goes to what used to be a real site while the Prop was still up for voting. You're right about the orphanage thing, though... and since Prop 8 passed already I would say **** it and buy Dano products since now the money is at least going towards something good *shrug*
    Nocomment
    The thing about numbers is that they're all relative to what you would expect. Technically, I can only give a full tube combo a 6 for sound, since there's four thousand dollar heads which make 10s. So, he is in fact justified giving it high rankings BASED on the price you pay for it. A ten for 30 bucks is clearly different than a ten for 300 bucks, but you can still have both because you rate it based your expectations.
    Lame-Joker
    These Dano's are surprisingly decent. I've been rocking the Cool Cat drive and it beats the piss out of any Boss overdrive I've heard. These pedals are all basically reverse-engineered copies of famous pedals. Obviously, they're not quite the originals, but you can get a pretty sweet sound out of these bad boys.
    JoePerry4life
    Its not the fact that true bypass is so hard, it just seems like every big company refuses to add this, like you said it isn't hard at all.
    BrokenDstring
    zapatista89 wrote: kaptink wrote: metal case is surprising for its price. Still wouldn't buy one though, or any Dano product knowing what the donates his profit to elaborate?
    read the rest of the comments?
    zapatista89
    elaborate?
    kaptink
    benx3000 wrote: kaptink wrote: metal case is surprising for its price. Still wouldn't buy one though, or any Dano product knowing what the donates his profit to What does he donate to?
    Anti-Homosexual Groups. I understand that with a lot of companies its hard to separate or know what you're buying and where the money goes or what connections the company has but there's no way I could get behind that.
    kaptink