Cool Cat CM-2 Metal II review by Danelectro

Danelectro: Cool Cat CM-2 Metal II

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

I am using my Peavey Multi Effects amp with my ESP LTD-50 Floyd Rose Special combo guitar. Its noisy if you turn the distortion knob to its full potential and kick the Switch onto "hi". That's a BAD combo and should NEVER be used unless your a terrible garbage scrub who needs to cover up your mistakes. The effects are strong on this pedal. They always sound great. I can get any sound from any band out of it. From BFMV to Lamb Of God, to The Doors. There is only one effect, and that is of course, distortion. Oh also, it depends on what amp you use. If you use a atarter amp that has vol, hi, mid, low, gain, and a button to turn the gain on/off, its gonna sound bad... But if you spring some extra cash and get a multi-efects amp, you can make MANY more sounds.

Basicly, this is a pedal that meets all my needs. If this pedal was stolen, I'd get another one. Basicly, its a good pedal for the price but not the best out there. If you've got the extra cash, spring some up and get a "Boss" pedal.

Yes, its a good pedal and you can depend on it. I would use it without a backup distortion pedal mainly because its AWESOME! I would use it without a backup because its a reliable pedal and has never given out on me during a show.

First off, let me say: This is one of THE BEST pedals out there for guitar. For $40? Where can you go wrong? A good Boss pedal cost at least $80 and there mostly the same quality! As for editing patches... I don't know, I don't do that stuff. I just buy the damn pedal and use it. Because for a 15 year old guitarist, that's fine with me. The manual for it is very well laid out for the pedal. You basicly have 3 knobs and a power switch. Knob 1 (Far left) is the volume. This is a little anoying because if you don't have the volume the same on the pedal as the amp, then it creates a jump in volume which is BAD BAD BAD BAD for live performances as you can probably guess. The middle knob is the distorion switch. This has "hi", "low" and "Off" settings on it. Hi makes it sound HORRIBLE on ANY channel on a guitar amp. I would only use that if your bad at a solo and REALLY REALLY REALLY need to cover up your mistakes. The knob on the far right litteraly says "distortion" on it. This knob lets you decide how much distortion is acutally going into the amp/through your other effects. I do not know the firmware revision number. Like I said, I don't do that kind of stuff. I just buy the pedal and use it.

Rokeman
    I have to say that they sound great for their price. I was lucky enough to get one half price for $15 too! While it really doesn't suit as a good lead tone, for some heavy riffing it does pretty alright - I keep the scoop switch on "off" though, the other settings are over the top! Not too sure if I'd use one on stage, it would depend on what the music was... but for my home recording setup, getting a quick metal tone for some "chuggy" stuff is great (and I can EQ it in the software). Not to mention just jamming at home and having an instant metal tone is great (I have a one channel amp). Finally, I'm going to attempt to add in a proper tone control, and maybe a slight high frequency cut to get rid of some of the harshness. This has been my mini-review - because I'm bad at the proper ones