Cool Cat CM-2 Metal II Review

1,331
reviews (2) pictures (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Cool Cat CM-2 Metal II Reviewed by: Sulfur183, on march 07, 2011

Purchased from: musiciansfriend.com

Ease of Use: You can get a very good distortion for metal or rock out of this thing really easily. As soon as you plug it in and set your level of distortion you can start jamming. It come with a generic manual thats not all that informative but this pedal is simple and easy to figure out. I haven't upgraded it at all. // 10

Sound: I play with a Ibanez GRX20 electric guitar thru a Ibanez TBX15R toneblaster 15 watt cmbo amp. The pedal isnt noisy at all but it can get LOUD and thats a good thing! The distortion is as weak or strong as you want it to be, you can customize the level of distortion for a lighter Vintage to tone to and extremely heavier than heavy Death Metal attack. But theres no EQ on the pedal itself so alot of customization has to be done with the EQ on your amp. You can get a decent Metallica tone out of it (they're my favorite artist)but its better for finding your own tone. The distortion sounds wild and awesome so much better than the compressed distortion channel on my amp, but it's not super tight sounding either which I would prefer. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Its very dependable and has never quit on me, although I would recommend buying the 9 volt adapter because the batteries die VERY quickly. Yes I would and have gigged with it without a back up. There's just one thing, you have to make sure you completely plug it in to the amp and the guitar or the pedal won't turn on at all. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly thrash metal and metalcore and this pedal is a great match. I've been playing for a little bit over a year and I also use a MXR CAE 404 Wah pedal. I don't regret buying this at all, its a great pedal for a very low price. If it were stolen/lost I would probably buy something else just because I want a tighter distortion sound now for my band. I love the loudness it has and hate that is doesn't have a EQ but overall it's a great buy. // 8

Cool Cat CM-2 Metal II Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 17, 2011

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Ease of Use: First off, let me say: This is one of THE BEST pedals out there for guitar. For $40? Where can you go wrong? A good Boss pedal cost at least $80 and there mostly the same quality! As for editing patches... I don't know, I don't do that stuff. I just buy the damn pedal and use it. Because for a 15 year old guitarist, that's fine with me. The manual for it is very well laid out for the pedal. You basicly have 3 knobs and a power switch. Knob 1 (Far left) is the volume. This is a little anoying because if you don't have the volume the same on the pedal as the amp, then it creates a jump in volume which is BAD BAD BAD BAD for live performances as you can probably guess. The middle knob is the distorion switch. This has "hi", "low" and "Off" settings on it. Hi makes it sound HORRIBLE on ANY channel on a guitar amp. I would only use that if your bad at a solo and REALLY REALLY REALLY need to cover up your mistakes. The knob on the far right litteraly says "distortion" on it. This knob lets you decide how much distortion is acutally going into the amp/through your other effects. I do not know the firmware revision number. Like I said, I don't do that kind of stuff. I just buy the pedal and use it. // 9

Sound: I am using my Peavey Multi Effects amp with my ESP LTD-50 Floyd Rose Special combo guitar. Its noisy if you turn the distortion knob to its full potential and kick the Switch onto "hi". That's a BAD combo and should NEVER be used unless your a terrible garbage scrub who needs to cover up your mistakes. The effects are strong on this pedal. They always sound great. I can get any sound from any band out of it. From BFMV to Lamb Of God, to The Doors. There is only one effect, and that is of course, distortion. Oh also, it depends on what amp you use. If you use a atarter amp that has vol, hi, mid, low, gain, and a button to turn the gain on/off, its gonna sound bad... But if you spring some extra cash and get a multi-efects amp, you can make MANY more sounds. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yes, its a good pedal and you can depend on it. I would use it without a backup distortion pedal mainly because its AWESOME! I would use it without a backup because its a reliable pedal and has never given out on me during a show. // 10

Overall Impression: Basicly, this is a pedal that meets all my needs. If this pedal was stolen, I'd get another one. Basicly, its a good pedal for the price but not the best out there. If you've got the extra cash, spring some up and get a "Boss" pedal. // 9

Comments