D-1 FAB Distortion review by Danelectro

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Danelectro: D-1 FAB Distortion

I'm using an Epiphone G-400 through a Roland Cube 30 and on the clean channel it sounds really good, with a nice crunch, just usable for metal I'd say. On a dirtier starting sound it has little or no impact. It creates quite a lot of background hiss whenever it's turned on as far as I can tell, and often goes into feedback if you hold a note until it dies, something I rather like. My primary aim was to get the sound of the choruses of smells like teen spirit, starting with a cleaner sound for intro and verses. It's usable, but I'm sure a Boss would beat it. It's also not much use for clean boost, but provides some satisfying crunch.

I play rock/metal/punk and it's usable, not outstanding. If you're starting with an overdriven sound, it doesnt't add much to it, and sometimes takes away. But at such a low price, what do you really expect? If and when it breaks I'll raise my budget and go for a Boss distortion as aposed to this. If, as me, you're just getting into effects pedals, it seems fine for certain sounds, but look elsewhere for a wide range.

Lets face it, this is made of plastic and is never going to last forever, even less time if it's being regularly gigged. I've had mine less than a year and recently when I switched it on it made a noise like there was low battery. I replaced the battery, it was ok for about half an hour and started again, don't know what it is though. It's fine for home use though.

Well, this was my first distortion pedal, and it's not bad. The controls are very easy to get to grips with, level is volume, dist is the amount of filth and eq is tone. It seems to work best when being used to distort a clean sound rather than boost an already slightly overdriven sound. The manual basically tells you what I have told you about the controls and apart from some advice to start with the dist at 5, is pretty useless.