D-1 FAB Distortion review by Danelectro

Danelectro: D-1 FAB Distortion

Purchased from: Guitar Maniacs (local shop)

I'm using a very basic setup. This pedal with an Epiphone SG Special and a Fender reverb practice amp, but I can still get some amazing sounds. I can get from raw, rock tones for hard rock and punk, to a more professional distortion like metal and blues. If the level is turned up too high, you will get some nasty feedback though. I can get the sounds of various artist, such as Clapton, Iommi, AC/DC (however, I can't get a lead sound resembling that of Angus'), And with low gain, this is even good for slide playing like Joe Walsh, or Billy Gibbons. The only issue I have with the sound is that it, along with my gear, is not very good for capturing right-hand tapping. If you wish to play metal like that, I would go with some much more expensive effect.

I play blues, rock, and metal, and it is a good match for all 3 of these, except for lead playing in metal. I've been playing about 3 years now, and I've used a variety of effects, however this is the only one I've owned (I'm a budget guitarist) but it is by far my favorite, next to wah pedals. I wish I would have asked which way to turn the knobs before buying it because the first few days I was turning them in reverse. Yes I know, I am an idiot. If it was stolen, I would most definately buy a new one. It is great for any musician on a budget! I love everything about it except it's limitations with tapping. Other than that, you get much more than you pay for with this pedal!

I can really depend on this. Although it's a plastic body, this thing can withstand a lot of punishment. And it's doesn't go through batteries like candy, either. I've been playing this nearly every day for about a year, and it's only needed 2 battery changes. Not to mention there is no damage at all to it, and I've accidentally spilled drinks on it twice! The only reason I would ever need a backup for this is because I would fear battery failure.

This pedal is very easy to use. Mine came with no manual, but I didn't need one. All it is is the standard input/output sockets with the foot pedal, and 3 gain, tone, and level knobs. The only difficulty I had was figuring which way to turn the knobs, everything else was very easy. Nearly every combination of knob levels produces a great sound, Except for a high level with a low tone and gain.

Modest Moose
    i thought the msrp was $19.80. I guess some people like ripping off there customers. *caugh* MUSIC GO ROUND *wheeze*
    xlukex
    i have one of these with an epiphone g400. great value for money. mine was only 15pound