D-3 FAB Metal review by Danelectro

Danelectro: D-3 FAB Metal

Purchased from: Davis Guitars

I'm using it with a crappy Yamaha Pacifica, Yamaha F-20 amp, a Fab Overdrive and a Danelectro Grilled Cheese Distortion. Sounds extremely great and strong, but the feedback is a total turn off. Turn the pedal on and not strike a chord, and it's still noisy. Other than that, nothing much negative. Nothing much to tweak on the pedal, just more on the amp. With the right turns, you can achieve something from Slipknot and Mudvayne to Cradle Of Filth and Iron Maiden.

I play hardcore punk rock, hard rock, Grunge, melodic and thrash metal. This pedal does wonders for thrash, not much on melodic. I own a Danelectro Grilled Cheese Distortion too, and I must say, Fab Metal totally pwned the Cheese. The Cheese is mainly for normal and classic rock. I wish they put in adapters too, but for Singapore $27, what do you expect? If it were stolen, I would definitely buy it again, unless I already have a better one.

It doesn't eat my battery that fast, so I would gig with it without a backup. Only downturn is, it's made of plastic. So just be sure you don't stomp on it too hard, unlike Boss and DigiTech pedals. As per normal, it comes with a rubber surface on the bottom, so rest assured that little dude doesn't move an inch.

How easy is it to get a sound from a pedal with only 3 knobs? There's volume, tone and gain, self-explainatory. I'm the type to have very loud sound, so I turn up the gain and tone all the way up, then I adjust the treble, bass and mid-range on the amp. I'm more of a treble guy, full of crunch and not much on bass.

Demonikk
    I wish it had a wahwah effect.
    Erm... I dunno how to break this to you, but it's a DISTORTION pedal, not a WAH pedal.
    susandavis
    This pedal is horrible and a waste of 15 dollars. Anyone picky about their rig and pedals would know that this takes away tone from your guitar, and is very noisey with no true hard bypass. Spending 15 dollars on this will take away hundreds of dollars spent on your original rig. I don't see why anyone would ever buy this pedal. At least save another 15 dollars and buy a boss ds1. I feel bad selling anyone this pedal
    TMAW
    its really good for the price, some of my friends have got boss and digitech and although there are better tones to get form them they just cant do it, my little Danelectro metal always sounds better than i do, and yes they are cheap and made of plastic but mine is still in perfect working order, i have gigged it without backup with an old 100w Roland Cube and this sounded perfect
    Cwolf
    i worked at guitar center and let me tell you those pedals suck and so does working for that place its like slave labor only with out the good pay...note the irony of what im saying here
    IUseAPurplePick
    I've been playing for 2+ years and I've got this pedal. I think it's really good, its got great tone, and its really simple. Only drawback for some people is all the feedback and noise when you have it on, but not playing it, but that doesnt bother me any. I love this pedal.
    Nhex (PT)
    theres nothing like digitech, i have the digitech hot rod and its perfect
    grimmXripper
    the.spine.surfs wrote: ...Way to insult his lack of attaing a merit-based scholarship. So...worth the $15 bucks? I'm hesitant about picking up any of these Dan-o FAB pedals...$15? Smells too good.
    i know that it sounds too good to be true, but its not. i went to guitar center and picked it up as a pedal to play with at home, and now its my favorite.
    jon bon 12
    btw all of these are worth it and all sound brill TG rated them at 3stars (which is the maximum for pedals) and normally only $100 pedals get
    El Cumanés
    SOUPerman432321 wrote: look at the prices paid everyone paid like 15 then you just see El Cumans paid 40. lol you got skrewed dude
    Thats because i'm from Venezuela, and everything related to music is 3x more expensive than USA. A brand new Squier can cost about the equivalent of 300-350$.
    brandnewjunkie
    To Chevelle454 (you said that a speaker adapter fried your pedal): It's not having an adapter rated for too many mA that's the problem; in fact, the more mA, the more pedals you can power (within reason). Your adapter probably wasn't 9V, which is actually a pretty uncommon voltage as power supplies go. That WILL cause you problems. You may also experience problems if you don't have an adapter rated for enough mA for all the pedals it is powering. I think that a stompbox draws about 200 mA.
    PunkRockerARB
    This is an awesome pedal, got it for free with a TG subscription, didn't know what to expect but it's a really good pedal with lots of bite!!
    SOUPerman432321
    that first line is hilarious but it is too good to be true its better to save up for something better
    SOUPerman432321
    This is a bad pedal i heard it at guitar center there is a reason this pedal is cheaper than alot of other ones. your best bet would be to get a boss
    El Cumanés
    The Bad Larry : From the reviews the people who baught it sounded like new guitar players and my first distortion pedal was a dan olectro to they are great beginers, cheap and effectvie definitally not something for anyone playing over 2 years
    +2. I had it as my first distortion pedal for like 2 years, but then i bought a Microcube, which has a much better distortion (not the best).
    The Bad Larry
    scarfacesuit
    El Cumans wrote: For a 15$ pedal, the value is the best out there. I have one for like a year and it still work like new. Not the best metal distortion, but much better than those of 99$ crappy 10-15w beginner amp.
    actually, i have a behringer 15-watt amp, and it has great distortion when you flip all the switches up and crank up the drive. this little sucker can get pretty loud.
    walls_bleed
    Go for real distortion, not analog. Get a tube amp or a tube distortion pedal, like a Damage control solid metal(i have one)