D-3 FAB Metal review by Danelectro

Danelectro: D-3 FAB Metal

It sounds great. I'm using it with my Ibanez Artcore (sounds great actually), a Fender frontman amp, and I generally like to add a chorus effect to give it more depth. I can get all sorts of sounds out of it, my favorite is adding the Fab Chorus effect to it, it creates a very Gilmour-ish sound, like that from the comfortably numb solo.

My overall impression is that it is a good pedal for the price. I can play anything from Lamb Of God, to Deathklok (gotta love Metalocalypse), to Pink Floyd and even some blues with the right tweaks and add-on effects. I've been playing for a few years and I like this pedal. I used to own a Boss distortion pedal, which I thought would last forever, guess not, it broke within a month. Maybe I'm just too hard on this stuff, but it should be ME-proof to be worth it.

I don't know if I'd depend on it. It's light, doesn't seem too durable, and battery life sucks. I also had a problem with it a day after I bought it. I started getting a horrible crackle sound out of it that I couldn't figure out. I tried different cables guitars and amps and it was always the same. I brought it back and got a replacement. Fresh out of the box the same thing happened. I went through the same changes, batteries, cables, amps, etc. and couldn't figure it out. Finally I looked at the wiring on the chip board. I noticed that the battery wire, if not set right, will actually touch the soldering points and cause interference and crackle. Since I realized this I've been a lot more careful about putting the battery in the right place and haven't had the problem since.

It's really easy to use, 3 knobs, level gain and tone. That kind of makes it less effective than other pedals, but for 14.99 (cheaper if you buy a box set of 4 different pedals) it's good enough. The manual was simple and lame honestly, but how hard is it to figure out, change the knobs til you like the sound.