D-3 FAB Metal review by Danelectro

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Danelectro: D-3 FAB Metal

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

The setup I used for this was my Brownsville L-80 guitar through a Marshall MG on the clean channel. Not the greatest amp in the world but you basically get the true sound coming from the pedal. The pedal sounded ok to me for a while. The pedal gives a lot of gain but it also gives you a lot of treble when you raise the tone knob. So you really don't get enough bass in the distortion. If anything it reminds me of the distortion that Children Of Bodom uses but that doesn't mean you'll sound like them.

The style I play is metal and hard rock so the pedal suited my needs. Compared to the Boss DS-1, the Fab gives you more gain but the DS-1 gives you more bass. It's better if you save your money for a better pedal with a full equalizer unless you want something that will only keep you happy for a couple of months or your just starting out. What I liked is the amount of gain this little thing throws out but that's all. there's too much trebble in the tone.

It's durable but it's made of plastic. Mine died after 4 months of use. I used an adapter with the right settings but then I started to get some ugly noises when I raised the tone knob after a couple of months. So I switched to using a Brand New battery. The problem was not solved and it just got worse. Raising the tone knob gave me some annoying and loud popping noises. I would definitely not use this in a gig.

It is very easy to use. It only has 3 knobs: tone, level, and gain. It didn't come with a manual so it's up to you to mess around and it should be easy to find whatever settings you want (if it has any) because there are only 3 knobs. Getting a good sound might be difficult cause it all sounds the same to me, there's not much you can do with 3 knobs.