D-3 FAB Metal review by Danelectro

Danelectro: D-3 FAB Metal

Purchased from: a music store

I use it with both a crappy guitar and amp but still I get pleasant A7X like sounds using this pedal. I get a consistent metal sound out of this setting. There are only 3 ways this pedal could give you iritating noise which are: You are standing really close to your amp without muting the strings. Both the amp and pedal volumes are maxed out. Your guitar cables are broken/crappy/loose. I can get Metallica, pantera, Dream Theater, A7x sounds out of this easily and by adjusting some knobs on the pedal and amp, I get sounds from Coheed And Cambria, Bullet for My valentine, Muse, Tool, mcr and even paramore.

Playing for 3 years, I could say that a beginner could start on this pedal. I play metal, modern/classic rock and prog music and this works perfectly fine. For such a low price compared to other metal pedals, this is surely a must buy for metal players and rock plyeers alike. I would definitely buy another one if this were stolen due to it's nice sound and affordability. however, I would also consider buying other metal pedals before buying this. I just wish it had a built in equalizer to get more diversed sounds from it. Then it would be really worth your money.

This pedal is built on hard thick psuedo-metallish plastic. I've used it on a gig and I can complain about two things. The metal cover on the bottom tends to come of when kicked pretty lightly (when the screws aren't that tight). The pedal gets hot. However, these really didn't affect it's sound and still performed neatly, as I had desired. I have two advices in using this pedal to maintain it's reliabilty in both sound and hardware status: always keep your batteries full (or better yet, use a 9volt AC adapter). Never expose in extreme, heat. I would definitely use this on a gig (as long as the weather's not burning hot) without backup since I don't have one but still I can say that this is pretty reliable for a low price.

Basically, if you want a true, crispy metal sound, all you need to do with this pedal is turn all knobs to max and you you already got yourself a piercing, heavy metal sound. In getting less sharp distortion, You just need to adjust the tone knob to get a fuzzy sound yet still retaining the heavy feel. If you wanted a moderate distortion pedal, this could still work but not as well as the real dist pedals. I think the best way to use this pedal is by turning the LEVEL knob all the way to the max, then start adjusting the master volume on your amp, then configuring the tone and gain knobs (if you prefer not to go clean in the some part of the song). The manual's sort of useless as you can plug and play as early as buying. I think this pedal is for starters and advanced players alike.

blueberry91
    This pedal sounds great on my crate. No problems here. Just out of 9vs in the house. =\
    AnxietyAngel
    I Have This Pedal And The Df-7 Distortion Factory...Nothing Beats The Df-7!!! And To Tell You The Truth I Think The Low End On This Pedal Sucks.