D-3 FAB Metal review by Danelectro

Danelectro: D-3 FAB Metal

Purchased from: Port Charlotte Music Stand (FL)

It is fairly easy to get a good sound out of it. But you get what you pay for. If your batteries are starting to die then it will sound absolutely terrible. I end up throwing away batteries that still have quite a bit of life in them because the pedal sounds like crap. Once your batteries start to die you'll get a very poor tone and a high pitches squealing when your batteries are close to dead. As long as you keep the pedal un-plugged when not in use the batteries do last for some time I guess. Mine usually last about a month with an hour of playing between two days (at least).

I play mainly metal, alternative rock, and stuff like that. As I've said before, I've only been playing for about 8 months or less, so it's really a pedal for beginners. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone Who has been playing for over 3 months because Boss makes a great distortion pedal for only $20 more. I plan on buying a DS-1 soon and giving this one away. I wouldn't buy this pedal again if it was lost or stolen. If I had the money to buy it on me I would still wait and buy something better. it's an alright pedal, but don't expect to get too many sounds out of it. For the price, you can't go wrong, but if you can save up another $20; then get a Boss DS-1 or something similar.

I haven't dropped this pedal or thrown it off of a building but I would say it is fairly durable. It IS plastic, but as long as you aren't throwing it around it should last for quite some time. I've never gigged before but everyone should have a backup when playing at a gig. Even if I was to play a gig, I would definitely carry a backup.

I started playing a couple months back and I'm using an Ibanez IJX40 Jumpstart pack. Not the greatest guitar or amp, but they work. I bought the pedal so I wouldn't have to turn up the gain on my amp every time I wanted some distortion. It works ok, but I can't give that great of a description with this being my first guitar, amp, and pedal. It is fairly easy to use, although the tone knob is pretty much useless. It really does nothing. If you turn it down then it sounds muffled, and it you turn it up then it starts to squeal really loud.

SLCONKL
    MetalMoses x
    SLCONKL wrote: I JUST THINK THAT IF YOU KNOW HOW TO USE THE PEDAL YOU CAN GET A VARIETY OF SOUNDS. MAYBE ITS NOT THE PEDAL IT MIGHT BE THE SETUP YOUR USING. I USE IT LIVE AND YOU CANT TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE BOSS MT-2 AND THE FAB METAL. SO JUST PRACTICE MORE.....I HAVE 18 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE AND A MUSIC MAJOR OUT OF COLLEGE, JUST PRACTICE..
    I am very happy for you having 18 years of experience and a music major but my point still stands. For you to say that this petal gives you the diversity of a boss MT-2 is simply ridiculous. I assure you that I have practiced enough, perhaps you haven't truly engaged yourself in the amazingness that is a high quality distortion petal and are speaking out of a "low quality bias".
    nailsarecruel
    My local music shops stock musical items priced for pros or rich people, so I was happy to find this pedal. The downside is that it is seriously lacking in bass, but the amp EQ rectifies that decently enough. I recommend it for cash strapped players like myself, or folks that wail away in their garage and never intend to start a band. It should be used with the Danelectro "Hum Free" adaptor though. My Radioshack universal adaptor was able to power the pedal while I waited for the real adaptor to be delivered, but the hum will seriously annoy you.