D-3 FAB Metal review by Danelectro

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Danelectro: D-3 FAB Metal

I bought this distortion pedal to do what this pedal does best: give a boost in tone to my gear. I am displeased with my Yamaha GA15 practice amp's tendency to rob the tone right out of my guitar. This pedal fixed that problem, but there are serious trade-offs. For one, it's VERY fuzzy. Even at low gain levels, the sound was always muddy. Another thing I disliked is the lack of bass the pedal gives. When the gain is around 12 o' clock, the tone at around 3 o' clock, and the level anywhere, it gives a pretty good sound. The best part of the sound is the splintering highs. More distortion is too fuzzy for me, and more tone has too much treble.

I play Metal, and so the name drew me towards this product. I've been playing for 8 months now and use a Yamaha Pacifica 012 with a Yamaha GA15 practice amp and a Line 6 Spider IV 30 watt performance amp. I wish I knew the durability beforehand. As I said before, I am never buying from Danelectro again. Overall I give this product 6.

This pedal made me not want to buy anything from Danelectro ever again. After little more than a month, it began to fail. When I turned the tone up, I would get a slight high pitched whine. After less than a week, the high pitched whine is all I hear when I'm not playing. If I strum a chord, I get the effect, but very weakly. Once I let go, there's the whine. Complete loss of money.

This pedal is very easy to use. The action is simple: press the button with your foot, and distortion is activated. Press the button again to deactivate it. When it's on the LED light shines blue. The controls are also simple, with 3 knobs to adjust the amount of distortion (Gain), brightness of the sound (Tone), and how loud it is (Level). Because it's so simple, the manual was pretty much useless, and I have explained the controls better than the manual itself, which just labels the controls.